Which API to learn first?

Started by
25 comments, last by dmikesell 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Original post by Plasmarobo
Alright, but I heard that it can be very difficult to use SDL to its full potential..... I will give it a try though.

Who ever said that is on crack.

SDL is easy as APIs get. Hell I only used SDL for a little over a year before I made my tutorials.

Moving onto OpenGL with SDL (which is SDL's true power) is a bit of a stumbling block because of the lack of examples (I plan to change that in about a year 1 1/2 [wink]). But once you manage to draw a quad on the screen it's smooth sailing from there.

Learn to make games with my SDL 2 Tutorials

Advertisement
Alright, but I heard that it can be very difficult to use SDL to its full potential..... I will give it a try though.

It is close to impossible to use any API to its full potential, but don't let that discourage you, because it doesn't mean that it is hard to use the API for the basics.

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

You guys make a year sound like such a small amount of time.
My plant is to know DirectX by the end of Sophmore year..... Is that realistic? I learned C++ in about a year... well actually it was more like 3 months spread farrr apart. Thanks for you encouragement!

By the way Lazy Foo' Those are great tutorials. The visual setup instructions were superhelpful.
___________________________________________________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
You guys make a year sound like such a small amount of time.
My plant is to know DirectX by the end of Sophmore year..... Is that realistic? I learned C++ in about a year... well actually it was more like 3 months spread farrr apart. Thanks for you encouragement!

By the way Lazy Foo' Those are great tutorials. The visual setup instructions were superhelpful.

to know DX (or just D3D) in 3 months..... honestly, no.
a year is a good amount of time. you'll might have the program up and running in 3 months. understanding and replicating particular algorithms and concepts without the book/net/reference holding your hand will definitely take far more than 3 months.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

If you need anymore tutorials for SDL there are some good ones at www.libsdl.org (SDL website)

- Wasn't sure if anybody already posted that above.

printf("C++ 4 Lifen");

I'm a GL guy.
No, I had a Basic understanding of C++ only in 3 months. Nothing else. I only knew about 7 files from the stl, and I knew how to use C++ statments and write to-from files. Direct X I have been working on for a month, and I can do ANYTHING with it. I don't even remeber any of it.
___________________________________________________Optimists see the glass as Half FullPessimists See the glass as Half EmptyEngineers See the glass as Twice as big as it needs to be
OpenGL also has Java, Python, Perl, Fortran, Ada, and I believe Ruby bindings. Not sure if the same is true of DirectX...maybe so.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement