Sign in to follow this  

Game Object Communication / Manipulation Critique

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Guys: I'm looking for a solid game design that will fit. Here's what I have: I have a Game Library which contains: GameObject - VisualObject - SpaitalObject - LightObject - SpotLightObject - Point, Directional, etc. I have a Graphics Library that has: DisplayObject - Light - Spot, Point, Directional - ModelObject - Camera I have a scene Graph which have nodes that point to the display object they represent: SceneNode - LightNode - GeomNode - SpatialNode My question, is am I duplicating data or is this a bad design? Its not really redundant, cause: * the Display Objects contain the actual data to render. * the Nodes point to the data they represent * the Game Objects contain the node they represent. Is this how other games do it? I looked at the Design Patters here on gamedev, they seem to be old references, or not really what I'm looking for. My main question is, how do you seperate the DISPLAY vs GAME LOGIC and have them communicate. Is this how it should be done, can anyone draw up some simple representation of how it should be? I'm using the SceneNodes to iterate through and render, cause the game objects shouldn't care how they are rendered. Thanks Jeff King.

Hello,

I shamelessly plug myself here. Last year I added some design entries in my gdnet+ journal. Unfortunately, lack of time (and lazyness, but don't tell this too high) made me stop with these little design articles.

My main subject was to build a 2D graphic engine, but I speak of the (very general) game architecture as well.

Here are the links:
january page
February page

HTH,

Emmanuel,

thanks for the reply. I checked out those links & saw you were dealing with similiar issues. I'm still at a loss on how my game objects should communicate & relay information down to the display objects.

Maybe I'm doing it an ok way. Not sure.

Jeff.

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.