Released a tool for creating volume textures

Started by
3 comments, last by Cypher19 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I've just uploaded a little volume texture tool to mdxinfo that may be of interest. The tool supports batch adding images from a folder, AVI video or another volume texture directly to the volume texture you're working on, which makes things a whole lot easier than using the SDK Texture Tool. It's mainly intended to create small static video textures, so it comes with a little preview player as well, as shown in the screenshot below. Other features include automatic texture format conversion, adjustable source image resampling and numerous options for the alpha channel of the volume texture. => Volume texture tool download page I don't know if this should go into the 'my announcements' forum, but I figured that since this tool is really only useful for DirectX (because of the DDS format) and since it comes with C# DirectX sources, I might as well post it here :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Advertisement
I'll sticky this for a bit so that people can check it out

Looks like a neat tool to me [smile]

I don't personally use volume textures much, but I can see how this sort of tool would be useful.

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Woah looks cool. But, I've really got to ask, is there much of a benefit to using volume textures for animation frames? You could just as well use a single standard texture and use it to hold all the frames?

At any rate, it's very easy on the eyes, so I like it :).
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Well, I recently got my GPU gems book and I was really impressed by the fire from the NVidia Vulcan demo, so I decided I had to try to make that too. They're using two movie clips of fire with the frames packed in the 'Z-slices' of a volume texture, which works really well in combination with a low number of 'particle quads'.

The higher resolution of the fire animation animation in the volume texture allows for larger and thus fewer 'particle quads', since most visuals are already provided in the animated texture. Additionally, the (linear) interpolation between the 'Z-slices' of the volume texture allows you to use only every 2nd or 3rd frame of the original animation (depending on the detail level of the original), which saves memory.

Quote:At any rate, it's very easy on the eyes, so I like it :).

Great :)
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Looks pretty sweet! Now all we need is a plugin for photoshop that lets artists use floating point values internally and export images in FP.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement