Which open-source engines do you think are designed well?

Started by
3 comments, last by NotAYakk 18 years, 1 month ago
Which open-source engines do you think are designed well? I'm asking as I'm looking for engine design ideas and there are so many out there to look at.
Advertisement
I find Irrlicht very elegant.
Just an observation...

It seems that the term "open source" has become synonymous with "free". Technically, any engine for which you obtain the full license will likely give you control over its source code, thus making it "open source" as well.

The OSI FAQ sheds some light on this, too.
AB HarrisEngineer, RG Studios
Quote:Original post by Razorguts
Just an observation...

It seems that the term "open source" has become synonymous with "free". Technically, any engine for which you obtain the full license will likely give you control over its source code, thus making it "open source" as well.

The OSI FAQ sheds some light on this, too.

Well if you hand out the source code...someone's gonna share it. You wouldn't make much money if you charged $100 for a license and source code when people are just going to get it offline rather than paying. This is the age of piracy..ya know? Arr!
Originality is dead.
Quote:Original post by Razorguts
Just an observation...

*nod*, but if you cannot share the resulting code yourself...

You forgot about the second point:
What you can't do is stop someone else from selling your code as well.

Quote:The OSI FAQ sheds some light on this, too.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement