Degree of cursing and swearing?

Started by
21 comments, last by GameDev.net 18 years ago
Even though I am not as good with words as our fellow members are, I wanted to say that if you plan on using swear or cuss words as we call them , I am cool with it. But think about the situation thoroughly before adding any swear words to your game. Because you don't want to put them in the game without having a reason for it. For example, some one seeing some one that they loved, die right before them or their home or country is destroyed by some one that hated them. Because then at that point, I too would be cussing. But to cuss just for the hell of it is not a good move, plus it would make the game less worth renting or buying. Also think of the reputation your game would have with or without the use of cuss words. I dont really know what else to say.

I will say this before I go though, I am using swear words in my game to, but only when the situation calls for it. Such as a monster jumping out of nowhere to right in my face. Also when the main characters are battling the bosses.

If you cuss, do it in the right areas with the right reasons.
Bruce Turner
Advertisement
It'd be absolutely ridiculous not to have swearing in a modern-day war FPS. But there's only so many swear words you can repeat, and only so many times you can repeat them before they start losing effect. Just place them well. You can always remove/add them later on if it's not balanced.

And you could always have a censored version with *'d out words and "beeped" out dialogue, which would still give the same impression without offending anyone.
Swearing doesn't bother me as long as it fits and doesn't go overboard. Present Day war game I would expect a decent amount of it. I would just try not to go to crazy with it..

This is a movie, not a game. But, Jarhead I felt went a bit overboard with all the swearing.. It was like every sentence with sometimes multiple swears.. It just got a bit tedious after a while..(Modern war type thingy)

Solarz.Post();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement