• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
RealmRPGer

OpenGL Easing into HDR lighting and reflections?

This topic is 4521 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Well, all my prior experience has been with openGL, and even then it was primarily 2D (orthographic projections). I want to start doing some 3D projects with DirectX, but from what I've seen of the tutorials, it's a lot more complex than openGL. But my real concern is that the tutorials go from simple -- rendering a polygon, loading a mesh -- to extremely complex. Basically, I just want to get some objects using HDR lighting with cube maps (reflections and refractions) and accurate specular highights (think rthdribl but minus all the depth of field, blur, etc). I just can't seem to find any example that shows those basics... Unless they're really not that basic? Does anyone know of a relatively simply example with these things? Even non-HDR would be an alright start... as long as I wouldn't have to rip it all out and redo it to get an HDR version up and running.

Advertisement
Quote:
but from what I've seen of the tutorials, it's a lot more complex than openGL. But my real concern is that the tutorials go from simple -- rendering a polygon, loading a mesh -- to extremely complex.
The general consensus I've found over the years is that OpenGL is easier to learn as you can get straight into the "drawing pretty pictures part" whereas D3D requires a bit more setup and groundwork.

If you're getting stuck with any particular parts of the theory/implementation by all means start up a new thread and ask [smile]

Quote:
as long as I wouldn't have to rip it all out and redo it to get an HDR version up and running.
HDRI can be implemented as an "after thought" if you find it easier. Yes, designing for HDRI from the start is better but it can be quite easily bolted on once you've got the main rendering up and running. It's mostly a post-processing effect, so it doesn't change much of the scene rendering code.

Change previous/existing code so it renders to a FP16 or FP32 render target instead of directly to the frame buffer you're set to go - put in your tonemapping pixel shader and re-render it to the framebuffer! Tweaking lighting/materials to make use of the dynamic range should be fairly straight forward.

Quote:
Original post by Armadon
There are 2 excellent samples that show how to accomplish HDR. One is by Muhammag Haggag and the other Jack Hoxley.
They cover both Managed DirectX and Native DirectX

I hope this helps.
Take care.

[grin] I should really make a note in that thread - there's a more up-to-date version of that in the DirectX SDK now (HDRPipeline) that people should probably use instead.

Cheers,
Jack

Quote:
Original post by RealmRPGer
I want to start doing some 3D projects with DirectX, but from what I've seen of the tutorials, it's a lot more complex than openGL. But my real concern is that the tutorials go from simple -- rendering a polygon, loading a mesh -- to extremely complex. Basically, I just want to get some objects using HDR lighting with cube maps (reflections and refractions) and accurate specular highights (think rthdribl but minus all the depth of field, blur, etc). I just can't seem to find any example that shows those basics... Unless they're really not that basic?

The rthdribl sample is no where near "basic". Since you're new to D3D, you might want to start off doing something a little simpler. Specular highlights can be implemented with either the fixed function or programmable pipelines without too much trouble. Take a look at the CubeMapping sample in the SDK and read the cube mapping sections of the docs. Make sure you feel comfortable with how that works.

Then you could take a look at the HDR sample Jack mentioned. It probably does the best job of any sample/tutorial out there explaining the topic.

neneboricua

Quote:
Original post by neneboricua19
Then you could take a look at the HDR sample Jack mentioned. It probably does the best job of any sample/tutorial out there explaining the topic.
Thanks!

Sits back with a big grin: [grin]

Jack

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!