what is considered AI?

Started by
15 comments, last by Sneftel 18 years, 1 month ago
Quote:Why would the sole purpose of AI be to imitate human intelligence?

Because we'll develop that program once and for all, I believe that is the ultimate goal which have been kept flying around AI reseachers (and psychologists) for several decades.

I'll quote myself here:
Quote:... and how comes our most advanced computers not as 'intelligent' as some basic creatures ...

We haven't chosen the right 'algorithm' ?.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Skeleton_V@T
Quote:Why would the sole purpose of AI be to imitate human intelligence?

Because we'll develop that program once and for all, I believe that is the ultimate goal which have been kept flying around AI reseachers (and psychologists) for several decades.

So what? Thinking that AI researchers should only ever concentrate on imitating humans is like thinking that engineers should only ever concentrate on inventing warp drive. There are more attainable and useful things to be done, many of which have practically nothing to do with such an "ultimate goal". Again: one of the primary usefulnesses of AI is that algorithms can be really good at doing things that humans are really bad at.
Quote:one of the primary usefulnesses of AI is that algorithms can be really good at doing things that humans are really bad at.

Fair enough, I don't deny their effectiveness either. But do you really think that goal has little places in AI development ?. Questions have been answered, algorithms have been developed by human only. Wouldn't it even better/be the right time to let computers raise and solve them, or support us discover things which aren't accounted ?. People can not be duplicated, but computers can be.

Time, money and effort have been put into imitating parts of human intelligent, some have evolved fairly good indeed. Don't they really need these advanced/complex/imperfect algorithms, however ?, or just something really simple that we couldn't find out ?.

I'd like to note that man in general (not to mention disability or unsuitable environments) can be taught to do everything that others can. Why do we have to transform every single algorithms to computers, instead of building a real learning algorithms ?. We could't find it yet, I think.

Sorry to be (if any) off topic.
--> The great thing about Object Oriented code is that it can make small, simple problems look like large, complex ones <--
But do you really think that goal has little places in AI development ?
Nope. When did I say that?

Quote:Original post by Sneftel
Why would the sole purpose of AI be to imitate human intelligence? Being good at things which people suck at is one of the main strengths of AI.

Because we're interested in making games - and a good AI for a game tends to be one that acts naturally, not one that is excellent at playing the game.
Quote:Original post by Sneftel
But do you really think that goal has little places in AI development ?
Nope. When did I say that?

Quote:There are more attainable and useful things to be done, many of which have practically nothing to do with such an "ultimate goal".

I probably have misinterpreted that line. We can discuss all day about this but none of this make sense until one of us propose a solution - a life time project really.
Quote:Original post by Nitage
Because we're interested in making games - and a good AI for a game tends to be one that acts naturally, not one that is excellent at playing the game.

Sure, and acting naturally is another part of AI. Of course, quite often "acting naturally" is best accomplished for a particular domain by supporting it with "excellent" algorithms which it then steps down from.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement