Sign in to follow this  

Setting a value to a String...

This topic is 4308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

OK, I have just come back to programming after like forever... I still remember a good deal of it and am getting back into it. However the book/article online I am reading both say I can use a "cin>>StringVar;" approach to fill my string up until a space etc... however when I try compiling my code it gives an error for that line. Same thing with the cout<< but for that I remembered I had to use the c_str function. Am I doing something wrong? Or am I using some out of date sources, or just people who aren't all that accurate? :( So I guess what I am asking is how can I input to a string, even where cin's getline is yelling at me. edit: By the way I am using VC2005. My includes are as follows in case this is important at all. #include <iostream> #include <conio.h> #include <string.h>

Since you don't post a code snippet i guess:

You need to change cout to std::cout (dito with cin), or put a using namespace std; after your includes in the cpp file.

If that is the cause your tutorial source is not quite up to the standard.

Quote:
Original post by Endurion
Since you don't post a code snippet i guess:

You need to change cout to std::cout (dito with cin), or put a using namespace std; after your includes in the cpp file.

If that is the cause your tutorial source is not quite up to the standard.

I already put 'using namespace std;' so I am at a loss right now :|

Check against this one:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

int main ()
{
std::string s ;

std::cout << "Input a string: " ;
std::cin >> s ;

std::cout << "The string input is: " << s ;

return 0 ;
}

Quote:
Original post by Xelen
edit: By the way I am using VC2005. My includes are as follows in case this is important at all.

#include <iostream>
#include <conio.h>
#include <string.h>

It is important. You must include <string>, not <string.h>. The later imports the definition of some old-fashioned (read: asciiz based) C strings, while the former imports the definition of the std::string class, which is what you want.

Also, unless you are trying to do some really fancy stuff with the console, you don't need to include conio.h.

HTH,

Actually I was using Conio for 'getch()' at the end to pause the program, even though its deprecated, it still works for my machine and testing purposes ;)

Ahh thanks, I did do that, though it gave me a 'warning' about that getch() deprecation, and I just misread what column the number was on and saw it as error, so I hadn't realised I already fixed the problem, haha. Then I changed it back cause I thought it was still broken, oh wow. Guess thats what I get for starting all this at like 2-3 in the morning, haha.

Thanks again.

Edit: Alright, so whats the best thing I should be using to make my program suspend at the end? Its getting annoying seeing that warning every time I compile :S I used to never get that, now I can't make it shut up.

Edit 2: Using cin.get() now, and its working fine and I'm enjoying no warnings upon compile!

[Edited by - Xelen on March 2, 2006 4:04:04 AM]

This topic is 4308 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.