Sign in to follow this  

How long aprox?

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

How long aproximatly would each of these games take to create from scratch, and a short idea of how (assume the concepts are all final, just creation and implication of the programming is needed)? 1) Tetris 2) Sonic the Hedgehog 3) Jak and Daxter 4) Final Fantasy 7 5) World of Warcraft I know there are MANY veriables to this question, but from a programming stand point i would like to get an idea of the practical development time. This does not incluse the writing of the story or character creation, just programming. Thanks

For an experienced programmer

1) 1 or 2 days
2) 2 month (engine+gameplay)
3) can't say: I never played this game :)
4) the system is rather basic. I'll say 6 months to one year.
5) it is just a matter of posting on the help wanted forum, so I guess that 15 minutes is enough... errrr. Oh, sorry. From a programming point of view, you'll need
a) a scriptable server that can handle loads of connections ; it probably means that you'll have to manage a server farm, syncrhonize the servers and so on. So I guess that for the server part alone, 1 year is the minimum you'll need to get it work correctly.
b) a client - really, not the hardest part of the job. Anotehr year might give you a rather good 3D client.

I don't count the time needed to do artwork or to program the scripted gameplay (except for the case of sonic where you can easily implement the gameplay as a part of the game). Content creation range from 3-6 month (sonic-like game) to 3-6 years (RPG and MMORPG).

HTH,

Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
For an experienced programmer...

Your estimates are much too low. Consider that the original games took longer to make than your estimates, and they used teams of programmers (except probably Tetris).

A couple nitpicks:

The first two were implemented on much more restrictive hardware, under much more unforgiving circumstances than the modern PC. One also has access to a wide number of libraries to help out.

However, concepts that one thinks are final rarely are, and getting the code working is a far cry from a polished game. Balance and subjective issues tend to take a while.

Quote:
Original post by JohnBolton
Quote:
Original post by Emmanuel Deloget
For an experienced programmer...

Your estimates are much too low. Consider that the original games took longer to make than your estimates, and they used teams of programmers (except probably Tetris).

But the programming part is only a small part of the job - consider the need for Sonic, for example. I specifically said that these time don't count the time needed to create the medias - If you only need to do the programming job, how much time will you need ?

Moreover, I was assuming that the game design was known - meaning that you don't have to cope with vagues features. In fact, to be clearer, I was answering to the question : "how long would it take to redo the games ?"

Last but not least, ReaperSMS makes a very valid point by saying that we know have a huge amount of libaries, and our PC are far more powerful than the pesky hardware those games was targetting. It means that you don't have to spend a lot of time on optimizing the whole stuff - for Sonic, you just take SDL and do your job (it's amazing what you can do in 2 month)

Hope I'm clearer :)

This topic is 4306 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.