Allegro bitmap fonts collection

Started by
4 comments, last by DHunter 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi! Does anyone know of a web site where I could find a collection of old-style bitmap fonts? I plan to use them with allegro, and though for some parts of the game I can use .ttf, I need a font or two with smaller, non-antialiased characters. I remember I'd found such a site a year or two ago, but I just can't remember anymore. They had fonts in .tga or .pcx format, in various styles - red/white candy, blue metal with black outline, etc. I'd be grateful for any pointers. Thanks, -Ivan
Advertisement
Check out angelcode's bitmap font generator. It can render bitmap's in TGA from any ttf, with or without anti-aliasing and in 8 or 32 bit, very useful. There are loads of free and reasonably nice to very good ttf fonts, so you will have a good choice then too.
You can use ttf2pcx to make your own bitmap fonts. An FYI: Allegro 4.2 supports loading fonts without having to use datafiles now.

It sounds like you are using a 3rd party lib to get native TTF support, but in case you've never heard of it, you may want to check out Glyph Keeper which lets you use TTF fonts (even with the standard textprintf).

I'm not aware of any bitmap font archives, but with the above tools, it might not be needed. A Google search looks promising.
Thanks for your replies. However, I was looking for fonts like the ones used in old games, with outlines, gradients, etc. So transferring some ttfs to bitmaps doesn't help much. Yes, I'm using the ALFont library, and I'm very happy with it.

-Ivan
You probably found this site (the only *large* collection I've seen online)
http://www.algonet.se/~guld1/freefont.htm

Google images turned up this potential gem as well
"I must not fear. Fear is the mindkiller. Fear is the little death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn to see fear's path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain." ~Frank Herbert, DuneMy slice of the web
Thanks, that's exactly what I've been looking for!

-Ivan

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement