Mega Man 2: Puzzle Attack

Started by
9 comments, last by Omid Ghavami 18 years, 1 month ago
Anyone who is a fan of Tetris will like this. Anyone who is a fan of old-school Mega Man will really like this. Check it out: http://spartasoft.msu.edu/games/MM2PA/MM2PA.zip Technology: Python / Pygame Enjoy!
Advertisement
Great Game! very well done. I would make a longer post but im busy playing :)
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. – Leonardo da Vinci
Very fun!

Only feedback is that you need a way to get out of the game (maybe there is, but it's not obvious, i.e. escape key, and there is no readme). You should use escape key, or have a readme if you want a different key. It's frustrating to not be able to quit out of a program.
-janoside [Firestorm Engine]
Can you post screenshots? Also, 38MB download?? Is there that much artwork?
Thanks everyone for the compliments. I'm glad you enjoy the game.

The readme files are 'MM2PA-controls.txt' and 'MM2PA-readme.txt'. They will be located in the main directory where the game was installed.

Sorry, I don't have any good screenshots hosted. The 38 MB includes some Python installation executables, as this an SDK version of the game (the source code is also included). The installer program is also quite large, as are the music files. I do not have a non-SDK version online.
A couple things:

1) How are you building/packing this? Setup.exe should contain everything, no? It looks like setup.exe was exploded in the zip file. I build my Python/Pygame game with Py2exe and build a setup.exe with Inno Setup. The setup.exe contains everything.

2) You could save a lot of space by converting the larger .wav files to .ogg. Download the trial version of WavePAD if you want to do this. Not sure if .ogg is smaller or larger than .mp3, but you could try those as well. Play around with sampling rates, too. I noticed that reducing that saved space with no discernable loss in music quality (just don't go too low).
dmikesell:

I also use Py2exe and Inno Setup. I'm fairly certain that setup.exe does contain everything, but I have all the files there in case someone with a Mac downloads it, as they couldn't use the Windows installer. In the case of a Mac user, they could run the game via the source code, if they have Python and Pygame installed.

Thanks for the advice on how to reduce file size. To be honest, though, I'm not too concerned about this being 38Mb. With most people having high-speed Internet access and large hard drives, and with future trends being even faster speeds and more storage, 38Mb isn't that large. The shift from the old-school need for speed and thinness to the future ability to not have to worry about such things is one of the main reasons I use Python in the first place, and why many consider it to be part of the central branch of the evolutionary tree of programming languages, ensuring that Python, or languages very similar to it, will still be used in a hundred years. You may already be familiar with these ideas, but I wanted to explain my reasoning for not being concerned with this project being 38Mb.
That's cool - I didn't know you had a Mac installation there as well. I agree about the file size, but I took a lot of flak on a mailing list for asking people to download a 20MB exe a few weeks back. Apparenly there are still people out there with dialup :-)

Also, I plan to eventually market my game and will host the .exe on a file kicker site that charges for MB downloaded per month - the smaller the better!
Well, it's not really a Mac installation, just the source code and data files. But one of the nice things about Python is that it's platform-independant, so any OS that can install Python (Mac, Unix, etc.) should be able to run any Python program. I did an installer for Windows since it's the most commonly used system, and because it's the one I'm using.

Do you have a demo of your game I can check out?
Edit: Responded to the wrong person

Check out my new game Smash and Dash at:

http://www.smashanddashgame.com/

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement