C++, C# or Java? OMG!

Started by
7 comments, last by jwenting 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello, I have some questions: 1) Is DirectX available to developing with C# and .NET? I've googled and didn't found anything. 2) Actually I'm very lost if I learn C++, C#, J# or Java. I want to develop enterprise mobile applications, but for about 2008 I want to develop games too. .NET, mainly .NET 2.0 and VS 2005 are the perfect solution for developing smart devices and Pockect games and apps. Or I have to choose C++? 3) With C++ I can deliver mobile applications and games? 4) The time of developing mobile with C++ is much more than using C# ? 5) And what about Java? For mobile is better than C#? I can say that I'm very hurried. I have some clients that can't wait anymore. But, I am worried about the future, that I want to develop games. Please, any help will be very welcome. Thanks. [Edited by - Maquiavel on March 2, 2006 4:44:54 PM]
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
Advertisement
1) Yes, DX can be used with .NET (that includes VB, C#, J#, C++).

2) I believe that the platform you wish to develop on will dictate that language you will use. As far as game development goes any of those languages will be sufficient to produce well-received games.

3) With C++, you can develop any kind of game.

4) That depends on well you know the languages and how well you know pointers [smile]

5) C# is restricted to Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, and Windows CE pdas. Java is (AFAIK) able to be used for all platforms.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

I may be biassed (been using it professionally for the last almost 8 years) but I like Java a lot.
Never used J2ME though, purely serverside stuff here (though now working on my Certified Developer assignment which has me dive a bit into Swing).

For mobile applications Java is just about the norm these days, especially for mobile phones (which can run a variety of operating systems).

If you aim squarely at PocketPC, .NET may indeed be a better option. We had some trouble when trying to find a decent working JVM for iPaqs and in the end decided on a web application aimed at them for one customer instead of a rich client which was the original plan.
The final application is a JSP/Servlet application running on a Linux server and talking through mobile phones with iPaqs.

For the enterprise especially that's likely the ideal solution. The same application can (if we wanted to) be adapted to generate and accept SOAP messages quite rapidly, or to have a richer HTML based user interface for larger screens.
Thanks for your replies.
I still very lost. Java, C# or C++? OMG!

Its hard, its hard to choose.
Lets explain more:

- Actually I want to develop 3 big mobile applications and their desktop softwares to transfer data, generate reports, etc.

My focus is Pocket PCs, because the clients that I will sell the software, will buy the necessary plataform.

So, .NET or C++ is my path, ok?

- BUT, I want to deliver games for all kind of mobile: Pocket PC, Palm, Cellphones and Smartphones.

In this case: Java or C++, its right?

Now, I kind of despair. Because C++ is in both cases, so I have to go to C++. Am I right?

Im seriously thinking in learning everything, but I have hurry, until Nov/2006 the mobile app have to be done. What do you think if I learn C# and all .NET stuff (including .NET Compact), develop the app.

So, next year I learn C++, forgot C# and develop everything in C++.
Is this a good plan?
Alfred Reinold Baudisch[Game Development Student] [MAC lover] [Ruby, Ruby on Rails and PHP developer] [Twitter]
Quote:Original post by Maquiavel
- BUT, I want to deliver games for all kind of mobile: Pocket PC, Palm, Cellphones and Smartphones.

In this case: Java or C++, its right?
For most cellphones, the only option is Java (J2ME).

Try to focus on .net forget java!!
Reason>>--sun has't answered back to microsoft's .net and i guess it will never be able to...

some 1980s microsoft's foundation classes were written in c.
some 1990s microsoft's next foundation classes written in c++.

news c# the new BANG!!! ....as said by micrsoft it is the most powerful language till yet and microsoft's is't gonna let go .net so easily so for the next 10 yrs SO ---focus is on .net!
Thanks a lot for all replies. With all your replies, I could search some info and wrote a research, so I took this decision:
- Learn C# and .NET
- Learn "raw" C++ (I've already have some C background, mainly pointers)

So, I will have the best "guns" on my hands, and will can develop anything I want, wherever I want to publish.

Thanks a lot again!
I will post the results here.
Quote:Original post by speed_of_light
Try to focus on .net forget java!!
Reason>>--sun has't answered back to microsoft's .net and i guess it will never be able to...
What do you think Java 5.0 is then? Why is Java still the most popular language in numerous measurements? What are you smoking?
Why limit yourself to a single language?

For each project use the best tools available. For your PPC app that is likely C# (or maybe managed C++), for your MIPS app it's almost certainly J2ME.

If both access the same server, it shouldn't be too difficult to define a communications protocol that both can understand.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement