Sign in to follow this  

C++, C#, J# or Java?

This topic is 4302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I have some questions: 1) Is DirectX available to developing with C# and .NET? I've googled and didn't found anything. 2) Actually I'm very lost if I learn C++, C#, J# or Java. I want to develop enterprise mobile applications, but for about 2008 I want to develop games too. .NET, mainly .NET 2.0 and VS 2005 are the perfect solution for developing smart devices and Pockect games and apps. Or I have to choose C++? 3) With C++ I can deliver mobile applications and games? 4) The time of developing mobile with C++ is much more than using C# ? 5) And what about Java? For mobile is better than C#? I can say that I'm very hurried. I have some clients that can't wait anymore. But, I am worried about the future, that I want to develop games. Please, any help will be very welcome. Thanks.

Don't cross-post.

edit: I'll put my post here, in case the other thread gets closed. And I will answer your questions [smile]

1) Yes, DX can be used with .NET (that includes VB, C#, J#, C++).

2) I believe that the platform you wish to develop on will dictate that language you will use. As far as game development goes any of those languages will be sufficient to produce well-received games.

3) With C++, you can develop any kind of game.

4) That depends on well you know the languages and how well you know pointers [smile]

5) C# is restricted to Windows Mobile, Pocket PCs, and Windows CE pdas. Java is (AFAIK) able to be used for all platforms.

I will not answer your questions but will give you a general view.

C# tends to be more productive (time saving) than C++, but I don't know about Java development times though. There is DirectX for the .NET platform and it's called Managed DirectX. Because it utilizes the .NET platform the best of all the managed languages, it's a perfect solution for software development. I don't know about its support for mobile applications and pocketpc though.
C++ will give you more portability. It works on almost all operating systems and that includes SymbianOS, an OS for portable devices. Production times with the language will probably be longer and perhaps it will take you longer to learn. It's worth it though, especially if you want to develop games.
Java is somewhat limited for games aswell as applications. It's a good solution for current generation cellphones though. I'm expecting more and more Smartphones to be released (with OSes that support C++). The mobile part of the language is pretty easy to learn. The articles you find on google will be good enough to start making a mobile game.
J#? What's that? Huh? Put it back where you got it from! Now!

Guest Anonymous Poster
I currently work in the Mobile Game industry. Here we typically use Java and Brew (which is C/C++), because most phones support these two. You can use C# if you want to, but it is fairly limited and may not reach alot of customers. Java (J2ME) for the cell phones has alot of issues; the major one that Sun's selling point, "Compile once, run anywhere" doesn't even come close on cell phones. The same is true for Brew, where you have to make different builds depending on the Firmware on the phone. It takes alot of extra time and man power and you should not overlook this by any means.

Java is (kinda, but not really) simular to C# where it is all managed and has Garbage Collection (tho it isn't that good for cell phones).

there's my 2 cents.

Thanks for you all for the replies. I love this forum for this. I have posted in a lot of forums (including ones with high traffic 500k+ messages) and havent received any post yet.

- The main question is that I want to develop enterprise mobile apps. So, the company that will buy my solution, will buy the necessary plataform too, e.g: Pocket PC. In this case I dont need to worry about lot of compatibility.

- But, I want to develop games and app to the masses, so I need to be compatible with the market.

1) According to the replies so C++ and Java is the best for suiting in this 2 needing?

2) Even for HIGH TRAFFIC AND SECURITY NEEDS applications? Is .NET the best for this?

The fact is: I have 4 months to learn.
And more 4 months to develop.

The solution have to be done for about Nov/2006.
As I said, I have hurry, so I have to learn the language and plataform that I will deliver scalable, stable and secure applications and games. Mainly and mostly the enterprise.

3) So, C++ have to be my choice?

- I don't have problem with material, because I have books on C++, C#, Java and J2ME.

4) I have Visual Studio 2005 too. It is the best for developing in normal C++?

Sorry if I repeated some things, but I really need to solve this problem.
THANKS A LOT AGAIN.

Hmmm.. To make it clear (and correct me if I'm wrong):
Mobile
- Java: more supported devices (but more time porting to specific devices);
- Brew (C++): less supported devices (but porting is faster); more devices will be released in the future.

C++ will have no problem with security and high traffic. Its performance is probably the best from the three. Visual Studio is by far the best IDE available for C++ and C#.

Can you tell us more about this project. Will everything be on portable devices? I am thinking more and more that you should use C++. For speed and support and portability.

Quote:
Original post by Pipo DeClown
Hmmm.. To make it clear (and correct me if I'm wrong):
Mobile
- Java: more supported devices (but more time porting to specific devices);
- Brew (C++): less supported devices (but porting is faster); more devices will be released in the future.

C++ will have no problem with security and high traffic. Its performance is probably the best from the three. Visual Studio is by far the best IDE available for C++ and C#.

Can you tell us more about this project. Will everything be on portable devices? I am thinking more and more that you should use C++. For speed and support and portability.

a) MAINLY: The project is to develop a software to companies that have sellers / representatives (sorry, I dont remember the correct word in English), to register buys, search for the stock, products, client orders history, this all with handheld.

b) Banking: managers consulting the clients's accounts, doing transfers, etc.

c) Restaurants: register orders, finalize accounts, check balance, etc.
(I dont know in your country, but here in Brazil we dont have this yet).

What do I need to develop?
- Obviously, the handheld software;

- The handheld software must send/receive data "wirelessly" to/from the ERP or even using the user desktop. Or simple save the day activity inside the handheld DB and in the final of the day, he/she transfer the data via USB. All theses features of transfering data must be available.

- Desktop software to transfer data from and to ERP;

- Web software to generate reports and that have the same funcionalities of the handheld software (this is the less important - I have 6 years of PHP experience in developing web systems like this).

I know that the integration with web is so easy, just refers to the database.
Mobile <-> Desktop.

So the most important thing that I want is that I will be able to develop quality software and that allows me quick personalization, depending on the type of the client.

Because your replies, now Iam thinking the someting: learn C++.

- So, I develop my own mobile plataform, all in C++;
- And for the Desktop stuff, I use wxWidgets.
- And for WEB, I continue with PHP.

But, is possible to develop something big in C++ in about 4 months?
In Java and .NET I know this is very possible, mainly when we talk about .NET.

Thanks a lot for all replies. With all your replies, I could search some info and wrote a research, so I took this decision:
- Learn C# and .NET
- Learn "raw" C++ (I've already have some C background, mainly pointers)

So, I will have the best "guns" on my hands, and will can develop anything I want, wherever I want to publish.

Thanks a lot again!
I will post the results here.

This topic is 4302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.