Installing boost

Started by
10 comments, last by nmi 18 years, 1 month ago
Im trying to compile and install boost. I do the compiling with bjam and microsoft studio .net 2003. OS is windows xp pro. When I run: bjam "-sTOOLS=vc-7_1" install I get this output:

Building Boost.Iostreams with bzip2 support disabled.
To enable bzip2, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation
Building Boost.Iostreams with zlib and gzip support disabled.
To enable zlib and gzip, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation
---------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section  ***
*** pass --without-python to suppress this message in the future ***

skipping Boost.Python library build due to missing or incorrect configuration

couldn't find Python.h in "c:/Python24/include"

You can configure the location of your python installation by setting:
PYTHON_VERSION - The 2-part python Major.Minor version number (e.g.
                 "2.2", NOT "2.2.1")  - currently "2.4"

PYTHON_ROOT    - automatically configured from PYTHON_VERSION if not
                 otherwise set ; currently "c:/Python24"

The following are automatically configured from PYTHON_ROOT if not
otherwise set:

PYTHON_LIB_PATH       - path to Python library object; currently
                            "c:/Python24/libs"
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.
Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information
(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it).
don't know how to make sTOOLS=vc-7_1
...found 12783 targets...
...updating 1360 targets...
...can't find 1 target...
vc-C++ bin\boost\libs\date_time\build\boost_date_time.dll\vc-7_1\debug\threading-multi\greg_month.obj

Two things seems to be not in order. It says "don't know how to make sTOOLS=vc-7_1". What does that mean? It doesnt recognice the vc-7_1 code? According to the install guide that should be .net 2003. And it stops cause it cant find a file. I went into that folder and its empty. Did I do something wrong when I set it up? Im using this guide. The idea was to use boost so I can integrate python and c++ but now I ended up spend the night trying to install boost. :P Anyone know of a better guide to get it installed? Or other suggestion on how to integrate python and c++? Thanks in advance.
Advertisement
I have installed boost for use with VS2003 and i had no problems.

Im not entirely sure how i did it, but i'm pretty sure it was simply downloading the source into a directory on the C drive and then setting up VS2003 lookup directories for headers and libraries.

Dave
Have you read this part of the message ?
Quote:
*** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section ***

Try to pass --without-python and check if it compiles.

Or maybe you can try installing phyton:
http://www.python.org/
Quote:Original post by Dave
I have installed boost for use with VS2003 and i had no problems.

Im not entirely sure how i did it, but i'm pretty sure it was simply downloading the source into a directory on the C drive and then setting up VS2003 lookup directories for headers and libraries.

Dave

Sounds like you got your hands on some already built release. I could try to find one myself but sooner or later I think I need to learn to compile my own things. :P I take this as a learning experience.

Quote:Original post by nmi
Have you read this part of the message ?
Quote:
*** If you don't need Boost.Python, you can ignore this section ***

Try to pass --without-python and check if it compiles.

Or maybe you can try installing phyton:
http://www.python.org/

Yep, Ive read all of it several times actually. Im going to install it with python support later, as for now, I just want it to install. I really dont think it matters but I have python installed.

EDIT:

I tried to tell bjam where to find my python installation and the result was a bit different. Obviously, it does no longer complain about not being able to find python. But the first error (don't know how to make sTOOLS=vc-7_1) was also gone.

Heres the new output:
******************************************************Building Boost.Iostreams with bzip2 support disabled.To enable bzip2, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation************************************************************************************************************Building Boost.Iostreams with zlib and gzip support disabled.To enable zlib and gzip, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation******************************************************Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it)....found 13709 targets......updating 1494 targets...vc-C++ bin\boost\libs\date_time\build\boost_date_time.dll\vc-7_1\debug\threading-multi\greg_month.obj

It still cant find that missing file...
Looks like that file should be created during the build. Do you have enough space free on your disk ?
Maybe you can try to disable threading support for now, to get a successful build at least.
I got just above 10 GB of free space on that disk. Ought to be enough for that file. :P I looked in the tutorial for disabling multithreading but I couldnt find anything, do you know how to do it?
Have you double-checked that:
a) Your PATH variable is set correctly to point to c:\Python24, sometimes if you've progressively installed multiple versions of Python, it'll retain the old path(such as c:\Python23) instead.

In short, try this command:

bjam stage --with-python-root=C:\Python24 --stagedir=./stage -sTOOLS=vc-7_1

change they Python root if applicable. the 'stage' command will build the libraries, but won't set up environment variables or such, you'll have to do that from within VC instead. Using that same command, I managed to build it all just fine with vc-8_0 a few weeks ago.
I tried that command line (except changing the python path to d:\python24) but got the exact same error, it cant find "greg_month.obj".

I havent installed python before. The only reason I installed and learned it it so that I can just do that speed critical stuff in c++ and the rest in python. To speed up development. So this is the only version that is (and have ever been) installed.
The file "greg_month.obj" cannot be found because it is the result of compilation.

I'm wondering where you installed VC7_1 to, also on D: ?
Did you call VCVARS32.BAT or set VC71_ROOT when calling bjam ?
(i.e. bjam ... -sVC71_ROOT="d:\vc7")
I have called VCVARS32.BAT. But I could try setting the vc7 root manually (I guess thats the thing that the bat file is doing). I have the ide installed here: D:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003

I ran this command:
bjam stage --with-python-root=d:\python24 --stagedir=./stage -sTOOLS=vc-7_1 -sVC71_ROOT="D:\Program\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7"

But I got the following output now:
******************************************************Building Boost.Iostreams with bzip2 support disabled.To enable bzip2, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation************************************************************************************************************Building Boost.Iostreams with zlib and gzip support disabled.To enable zlib and gzip, consult the Boost.Iostreams documentation******************************************************Building Boost.Regex with the optional Unicode/ICU support disabled.Please refer to the Boost.Regex documentation for more information(and if you don't know what ICU is then you probably don't need it)....patience......patience......found 6811 targets......updating 1705 targets...MkDir1 stagespawn: No such file or directory

Seems like I got another error now, MkDir1 stage, sounds like its trying to create directories, but cant find them. Do I have to create all the directories myself? Or is any of the directories I gave as arguments missing (I think they're all ok)?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement