Sign in to follow this  

How many people here are actually using D3DX meshes?

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I am a little curious about the rest of you. How many of you are using the D3DX implementation of the mesh class? How many of you are using your own custom mesh classes? I like the fact that there are some wonderful functions, such as the Insersect method, but I am not sure I like D3DX doing everything for me. How about the rest of you?

True enough, but don't you find it more difficult to load in meshes from different file formats? I would think it would be much easier to load in meshes from whatever file format if you have your own mesh implementation rather than using the D3DX mesh implementations and having to convert everything so it fits into the D3DX mesh.

Quote:
Original post by Moe
I am a little curious about the rest of you. How many of you are using the D3DX implementation of the mesh class? How many of you are using your own custom mesh classes? I like the fact that there are some wonderful functions, such as the Insersect method, but I am not sure I like D3DX doing everything for me.

The only time I will use them is if I have to use one of the D3DX geometry functions that require an ID3DXMesh as input. Even then, this is usually in some pre-process, so it is ok to take the extra time to do it. However, I have heard this is changing in D3DX10, so that you can just pass in a block of vertex data, ect.

Do you mean the DXUT mesh class? D3DX just provides a function for creating a mesh. I wrote my own class for handling meshes, since I want a lot of control over them. I looked briefly at the DXUT mesh class, and did not see it as providing much that you cannot easily code yourself, like a routine to load a mesh and its materials and textures.

I use ID3DXMesh in my code, mainly due to simplicity but also due to the fact that I don't have anything else that's any better!

Quote:
Original post by circlesoft
I have heard this is changing in D3DX10, so that you can just pass in a block of vertex data, ect.
There's not much information to work with yet, but it seems to be going that way. The few D3DX mesh functions in the Feb CTP use pointers to D3DXVECTOR3's.

Cheers,
Jack

Hi,

most of the time I use ID3XMesh too, because it usually makes things easier, and I rely on D3DX functions heavily. Of course, there are cases (like billboards, things built up from lines - and not wireframe meshes, etc..) when it's just simpler to use a plain vertex buffer instead.

kp

I use ID3DXMesh heavily since it saves me so much time. Although it is really only appropriate for the small program environment that I'm in, if I were working on a large engine I'm sure I would use a custom mesh class for more control.

Quote:
I looked briefly at the DXUT mesh class, and did not see it as providing much that you cannot easily code yourself, like a routine to load a mesh and its materials and textures.

Do you consider implementing progressive meshes and skinned meshes easy?

I guess that is something that I hadn't thought about (the use of Progressive/skinned meshes). How hard is it to use the ID3DXMesh class, for things like progressive meshes?

Quote:
Original post by jollyjeffers
Looked at ID3DXPMesh?

I admit, I haven't looked at it yet. I really should dig through the SDK and learn more before asking more questions...

Perhaps one last question before I be quiet. How hard would it be to load a mesh from, say, a Milkshape 3D file and put it into a ID3DXPMesh structure?

I use the D3DXMESH because I don't have the skills needed to build my own mesh class :) ...And even if I had, I'm sure I would not be able to build something better than D3DXMESH...well, I have no problems with D3DXMESH..its OK, but I think that if you develop your own format, it will be more interesting... When I get the needed skills, I'll develop my own mesh system ;)

I'm working in MDX and use Mesh files essentially because it provides useful things like ray intersects and other 'handy' functions.

Out of interest I did use .X file format storage but found writing my own binary storage file about 50% faster - mind you I was only storing Vertexes and Indexes, not any materials etc. so maybe the .X file loading functions were having to do more work in anticipation. I'm no uber-programmer so I was suprised that I could get the loading faster than the 'professionals'. For external editing I have a converter utility between .X and my 'custom' format that I run prior to an application build.

Its worth considering the programmatic use of Meshes seperate from their storage because you can consider them seperately.

Phillip Hamlyn

Guest Anonymous Poster
Without hijacking this thread, by the way, can Direct .X files be used in commercial games? Or do we have to pay Microsoft some fee? Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
Without hijacking this thread, by the way, can Direct .X files be used in commercial games? Or do we have to pay Microsoft some fee?
Shouldn't be any problems with commercial usage - no licence fee or % of royalties involved.

The "licence fee" if you can call it that for DirectX is paid via the Windows OS licence - it is a system component after all.

hth
Jack

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.