How many people here are actually using D3DX meshes?

Started by
17 comments, last by jollyjeffers 18 years, 1 month ago
I am a little curious about the rest of you. How many of you are using the D3DX implementation of the mesh class? How many of you are using your own custom mesh classes? I like the fact that there are some wonderful functions, such as the Insersect method, but I am not sure I like D3DX doing everything for me. How about the rest of you?
Advertisement
I'm happy for DirectX to do everything for me, that's why it was written.
True enough, but don't you find it more difficult to load in meshes from different file formats? I would think it would be much easier to load in meshes from whatever file format if you have your own mesh implementation rather than using the D3DX mesh implementations and having to convert everything so it fits into the D3DX mesh.
Quote:Original post by Moe
I am a little curious about the rest of you. How many of you are using the D3DX implementation of the mesh class? How many of you are using your own custom mesh classes? I like the fact that there are some wonderful functions, such as the Insersect method, but I am not sure I like D3DX doing everything for me.

The only time I will use them is if I have to use one of the D3DX geometry functions that require an ID3DXMesh as input. Even then, this is usually in some pre-process, so it is ok to take the extra time to do it. However, I have heard this is changing in D3DX10, so that you can just pass in a block of vertex data, ect.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )
Do you mean the DXUT mesh class? D3DX just provides a function for creating a mesh. I wrote my own class for handling meshes, since I want a lot of control over them. I looked briefly at the DXUT mesh class, and did not see it as providing much that you cannot easily code yourself, like a routine to load a mesh and its materials and textures.

--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books
I use ID3DXMesh in my code, mainly due to simplicity but also due to the fact that I don't have anything else that's any better!

Quote:Original post by circlesoft
I have heard this is changing in D3DX10, so that you can just pass in a block of vertex data, ect.
There's not much information to work with yet, but it seems to be going that way. The few D3DX mesh functions in the Feb CTP use pointers to D3DXVECTOR3's.

Cheers,
Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Hi,

most of the time I use ID3XMesh too, because it usually makes things easier, and I rely on D3DX functions heavily. Of course, there are cases (like billboards, things built up from lines - and not wireframe meshes, etc..) when it's just simpler to use a plain vertex buffer instead.

kp
------------------------------------------------------------Neo, the Matrix should be 16-byte aligned for better performance!

I have my own mesh class. I find the .x format too DX dependent. Since I use my custom exporter for MAX I can implement new functionality to the mesh as I need.
How easy is it to write a 3DS exporter.

Dave
Quote:Original post by Dave
How easy is it to write a 3DS exporter.

Using the format = ok
Using the Max API = hell [bawling]

I guess using the IGame interface is managable, though.
Dustin Franklin ( circlesoft :: KBase :: Mystic GD :: ApolloNL )

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement