Sign in to follow this  

What engine to use ?

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, we are a group of people and we have a pretty cool idea for a MMORPG. It's unique and it has never been done before but we don't have any idea about what engine to use exactly. We are on a low budget and we've been wondering if it is even good to use an engine such as ogre or the torque engine for a MMORPG. We were mostly wondering how this would be handled with networking, we have no experience with either of these engines so we'd like to ask some people with experience if this is possible or not.

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
I'm afraid a low budget and a Massive Multiplayer Anything aren't going to work well together, since you also have to pay for the servers...

I have a friend which is in the website business and has the ability to host several servers for our MMORPG to start with. So servers won't be a problem.

I'm afraid no experience and a Massive Multiplayer Anything aren't going to work well together!

This kind of project is not easy to complete. If it were, there would be hundreds of great MMO's.

Perhaps you should concentrate on writing a 2D single player version of your game, and upgrade when you have more experience. I guarantee you that even this will be very difficult.

Well, we have several coders which have enough experience and willpower to actually complete a game. Several have build games using small engines they made on their own. The problem is non of them has ever made a game using a huge engine such as ogre3d or the torque engine.

Quote:
Original post by iamnotamoose
if this is possible or not.

I would say it wasn't impossible, if that is any help [grin]

Both engines would probably be up to the task initially but may need some serious customisations to handle a huge mmo.

Best way to find out would be to pick one and get stuck in [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO

I dont know if this team of developers is planning a high range MMORPG, e.g. if they are planning to do a WOW size game or similar or if they just are trying to make the game running on a single server to get some attention to their game.

The question was however what engine to use, not how can i make a insanely large MMO with no money.

I know that some guys are doing a MMORPG in Torque. Take a look at Conflict Omega. You can try and contact them to hear.

Oterwise Ogre is not an engine but a renderer so you'll have to write the network code yourself if you use that;-)

regards

EDIT: And while i was writing the TP answered on the server question;-)

Quote:
Original post by ViLiO
Quote:
if this is possible or not.

I would say it wasn't impossible, if that is any help [grin]

Both engines would probably be up to the task initially but may need some serious customisations to handle a huge mmo.

Best way to find out would be to pick one and get stuck in [smile]

All the best,
ViLiO

Yes, that is exactly what we are most concerned about. We would like to know which engine would be the easiest to use when a complicated networking system is going to be involved.

Wow no offense to any1, but we have some programmers in a bad mood or something. Whatever happened to, "u can do anything u put yer mind to?". If you have a group dedicated to making this game, then go for it.

If you havent made a game yet but know how to code, I would suggest picking up a few good books on game design. How to integrate all parts of a game together, like Graphics, Audio, Physics, Events, AI, ... You can use a different engine pretty much for each part or get one that uses them all.

Personally I went with rolling my own "Sub-Engines" for every part but the Physics. Im a control freak though, I like to be able to change anything at any given time...

Hope it helps, Im still old-skewl thought where I think making yer own engine is a good idea.

PS. Also note that you will need sum1 with database skills, and the know how to integrate that into the master server code.

--Brad

Quote:
Hey, we are a group of people and we have a pretty cool idea for a MMORPG.
It's unique and it has never been done before

It seems that everyone I find on here seems to either be saying that, or how much they hate n00bs trying to do MMORPGs. Bad place to be asking for help. And in the gaming world, there's hardly ever such a thing as a "unique idea" if it meets a certain genre. MMORPG implies you've got your everyday RPG, only online. These things seem to fail because networking is a pain, and the lack of a linear story takes out most of what makes an RPG an RPG.

Guest Anonymous Poster
The unpaid MMORPG programmer team is more or less a group of unmotivated programmers who are all hoping the others will do all the hard work. It really doesn't matter what engine is used the end result is more or less the same.

Quote:
Original post by Anonymous Poster
The unpaid MMORPG programmer team is more or less a group of unmotivated programmers who are all hoping the others will do all the hard work. It really doesn't matter what engine is used the end result is more or less the same.

Or maybe a group of new programmers trying to get something on their resume?

You really need to take a step back and think about exactly what you're attempting to do here before you get knee-deep in lost time. It takes several years for experienced teams of individuals to get even a bad MMOG off the ground, and these teams have a budget! My suggestion would be implementing some gameplay mechanics, concepts, and prototypes on a engine and making a multi-player (non-persistant) world first. If you have the ability to churn something like that out (mind you, artwork can be saved as well) then you can think about going on to the next step (which is a rather large one).

Start small and then work towards making a bigger game. You can do this anyway you wish, but don't try to run a mile when you aren't even in enough shape to run 100m. No matter how much you think your team is ready, you aren't, and you'll need more than just talented programmers, artists, and level designers to get anywhere near finishing a MMOG.

I think some people learn things best the hard way. ;)

Plus it's getting tiresome to say the same to everyone who wants to start a MMORPG (or a mod from where I come from, or whatever).

Note that I was on a MMORPG team too... for about two weeks. I then decided to step up as I saw it coming: a group of 13/14 years old, with some programming experience and some great idea's but aiming way too high without any experience of that sort.
In my experience, it's best to have a few smaller things finished (you build a certain base for larger projects then, too, both in content and experience) than nothing at all, as that's what often happens with such large projects. How long will your motivation last, for example?

After some trials and research, we decided we liked Panda3D. It's cartoony and chunky, graphics-wise, but it fits with the concept for us. Just thought I'd throw that out here.

Like some people above have mentioned, you still need to be able to work with the code. It's not Kaneva or something, where you build it on theirs.

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.