How old were you when you moved out of your parent's house?

Started by
66 comments, last by cloudscapes 18 years, 1 month ago
I've never been a lease holder I just pay my share of the rent.
Advertisement
Moved out of my parents house at 22 but didn't stop there, I moved 1/2 way across the world to Tokyo and setup shop there by myself :-) Sold my car so I could have enough money to start off with, although it didn't last long once I discovered Tokyo night life! Quite a challenge setting up by yourself in a foreign country and not speaking the lingo.
I'm 18, and my parents moved out of town a couple of months ago, which meant I was basically forced to move out of home, due to going to uni here. I'm enjoying it so far.
I'm 23 and I'll probably move out around 25. Tho I love living with my 'rents I can't have my gf sleep over so I'd move out to be with her. If we break up tho I'm staying here until they kick me out, haha.

Drew Sikora
Executive Producer
GameDev.net

Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
If we break up tho I'm staying here until they kick me out, haha.

That works. I bet I'm the only one here who has a brother still living at home who is 44 :-) After all my other brothers and sisters moved out he stayed behind, which is kind of good now my folks have retired. At least there is someone there to keep an eye on them.
16 and thank god for that.
Quote:Original post by BBB
16 and thank god for that.

Go back home kid! *kicks your a$$*[grin]

I'm 21 (22 in may) and I'm also still living with my rents. My older brother (25 I believe) left about a year ago, but, I don't really want to leave my parents right now because they need me financially, since we bought this house not too long ago, we all agreed to help each other out on the mortgage lol.

- xeddiex
one..
Quote:Original post by Gaiiden
Tho I love living with my 'rents I can't have my gf sleep over

Yeah, thats the thing, I do like living at home, ok part of it is because I'm lazy and I hate doing my own meals and both my parents can cook really well [grin] but I've got all the freedom I need right now, come and go practically as I please, just a nod so they know whats going on and I pay a small amount of rent (what with being a poor student and all that). Plus, in the last few years I've had alot of really good convos with my mum, something I never did when younger and probably wouldnt have done if I had moved out [grin]

Also, I don't think the gf thing would be an issue, I've had a whole two girls over to sleep and my parents didn't bat an eyelid aside from 'tell us in advance in future' which is fair enuff, although in both cases I couldnt really as they were both a spur of the moments 2am thing, I dont think they would have liked a phone call saying so then *chuckles*

I dont plan on staying here forever, but certainly for the next year and a half I've no plans to go anywhere..

I'm 23 and I moved out about a month ago. I went to college nearby, so I didn't see the point, financially, to move out on my own. I did spent 2 years away from home (1 at a college in Illinois, 1 in Japan), but until now all of my stuff was at my parent's house.

I don't think it is pathetic to live at home if you are either in college or trying to save money. A lot of people move out because their parents inhibit their social life or they just don't get along with their parents.

If you plan on living at home until you get kicked out at the age of 30 or something, then you are probably pathetic (unless you are getting your PhD, but even then...)
People are living with their parents for longer and longer nowadays. Still living with your parents at 22 isn't pathetic or even unusual anymore. Housing prices are going up and up, people have to spend longer and longer in higher education to get into good jobs, and with things like rising petrol prices increasing general living expenses, it really makes sence to stay at home that bit longer until you're set up financially. It's hard to study full time for your future career and make enough money on the side to cover accommodation, transportation, and all your general living expenses, especially if you live in the city.

I just turned 20 and I'm still living with my parents. I'm currently employed full time and studying part time. In three or so years when I've completed my studies I'll have a nice little nestegg saved up from my job, and when the time is right I'll move away and find my own place, possibly interstate.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement