Sign in to follow this  

Getting microphone samples...

This topic is 4305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

For my HCI class I am writing an application that responds to users yelling at it. In order for this to work, I need, at the very least, to get the volume of sound coming in from a microphone. Better yet I would like access to the actual waveform data itself so that I can do processing on it. Can you do this with DirectX? This system is realtime, so I want to continuously read in microphone input and do something if the volume or frequency of input changes. Even better - is there a way to do the former task, but also do some speech recognition to detect a handful of words like "NO!" "GOOD!" "DAMMIT!" "STOP STOP STOP" "GO GO GO GO"

hi,

I think you should check out the CaptureSound Sample in the SDK (DirectX Audio/DirectSound/DirectSound Samples/CaptureSound Sample in the docs). If you record small chunks, you can put them together and analyse them as you want, and, depending on how small fragments you record, it can be almost realtime.

kp

This topic is 4305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.