Sign in to follow this  

Best way to learn the SDL?

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Ok here's my story... Over the past 2 weeks or so I've been reading Beginning C Plus Plus (for some reason... the plus signs keep disappearing from my post) Game Programming, and I have just finished it. Now I want to get my feet wet with the SDL, and I'm wondering what the best way to learn it is. I'm guess that for me, Focus on SDL would be the best way to go. I've never used a graphics API before so I'm looking for something that goes a little in-depth, a book seems to do that pretty good. Any opinions?

Quote:
Original post by Lazy Foo
Using these tutorials.

Not that I'm biased towards them or anything >.>

In all seriousness, there's no point in buying a book for SDL. It's so well documented and easy to use.

Woah... very nice. It's all game programming oriented too. I'll be sure to take a look at these.

Quote:
Original post by starnix17
Ok here's my story...
Over the past 2 weeks or so I've been reading Beginning C Plus Plus (for some reason... the plus signs keep disappearing from my post) Game Programming, and I have just finished it. Now I want to get my feet wet with the SDL, and I'm wondering what the best way to learn it is. I'm guess that for me, Focus on SDL would be the best way to go. I've never used a graphics API before so I'm looking for something that goes a little in-depth, a book seems to do that pretty good.

Any opinions?

Oh I have Focus on SDL and I can't say I was a big fan of the book. I followed it's programming style and ended up with some major issues in dealing with events. It was lacking in afew other areas as well.

I've been using these tutorials lately and have found them to be quite excellent.

So thumbs up for the tutorials and thumbs down for the book. That is all.

Yes, SDL is very easy, so learning from tutorials and its very nice documentation is what you should do. I started SDL in August. And when I first started learning it, I thought it wasn't really that powerful. Now that I have started using its more advanced stuff, I must say it is quite powerfull.

Just my 2 cents.

Chad.

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.