DXUT Framework

Started by
6 comments, last by DXnut 18 years, 1 month ago
Thanks guys, I finally went along with using the DXUT framework and by looking at the 'EmptyProject' ...project, it looks really nice. Anyways, I don't want to use the EmptyProject as my template project, instead, I'd like (As I always do) make my own. I have the same file as in EmptyProject with some things changed:

#pragma comment(lib, "dxerr9.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9d.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "d3d9.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")
#pragma comment(lib, "comctl32.lib")

#include <dxstdafx.h>
#include <dxut.h>
#include <d3dx9.h>

bool CALLBACK IsDeviceAcceptable(D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, D3DFORMAT AdapterFormat, D3DFORMAT BackBufferFormat, bool bWindowed, void *pUserContext)
{
    // Typically want to skip backbuffer formats that don't support alpha blending
    IDirect3D9 *pD3D = DXUTGetD3DObject(); 
    if(FAILED(pD3D->CheckDeviceFormat(pCaps->AdapterOrdinal, pCaps->DeviceType, AdapterFormat, D3DUSAGE_QUERY_POSTPIXELSHADER_BLENDING, D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE, BackBufferFormat)))
        return false;

return true;
}

bool CALLBACK ModifyDeviceSettings(DXUTDeviceSettings *pDeviceSettings, const D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, void *pUserContext)
{
    return true;
}

HRESULT CALLBACK OnCreateDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC *pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void *pUserContext)
{
    return S_OK;
}

HRESULT CALLBACK OnResetDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 * pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC * pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void * pUserContext)
{
    return S_OK;
}

void CALLBACK OnFrameMove(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext)
{
}

void CALLBACK OnFrameRender(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext)
{
    HRESULT hr;

// Clear the render target and the zbuffer 
    V(pd3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0, 45, 50, 170), 1.0f, 0));

// Render the scene
    if(SUCCEEDED(pd3dDevice->BeginScene()))
    {
        V(pd3dDevice->EndScene());
    }
}

LRESULT CALLBACK MsgProc(HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam, bool *pbNoFurtherProcessing, void *pUserContext)
{
    return 0;
}

void CALLBACK OnLostDevice(void *pUserContext)
{
}

void CALLBACK OnDestroyDevice(void *pUserContext)
{
}

INT WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int)
{
    // Enable run-time memory check for debug builds.
#if defined(DEBUG) | defined(_DEBUG)
    _CrtSetDbgFlag(_CRTDBG_ALLOC_MEM_DF | _CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF);
#endif

// Set the callback functions
    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceCreated(OnCreateDevice);
    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceReset(OnResetDevice);
    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceLost(OnLostDevice);
    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceDestroyed(OnDestroyDevice);
    DXUTSetCallbackMsgProc(MsgProc);
    DXUTSetCallbackFrameRender(OnFrameRender);
    DXUTSetCallbackFrameMove(OnFrameMove);

// TODO: Perform any application-level initialization here

// Initialize DXUT and create the desired Win32 window and Direct3D device for the application
    DXUTInit(true, true, true); // Parse the command line, handle the default hotkeys, and show msgboxes
    DXUTSetCursorSettings(true, true); // Show the cursor and clip it when in full screen
    DXUTCreateWindow(L"EmptyProject");
    DXUTCreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, true, 640, 480, IsDeviceAcceptable, ModifyDeviceSettings);

// Start the render loop
    DXUTMainLoop();

// TODO: Perform any application-level cleanup here

return DXUTGetExitCode();
}

Sorry for posting that code but I figured you'd need it (possibly). Anyways, so I've linked to the so called necessary libraries, and since I don't want to use precompiled headers (dxstfax.h or whatever), I included the headers myself. I checked DXUT.h and other headers and it looks like the functions called in this source aren't dependent on it, or anything else. The errors I get are unresolved externals, which most likely means the PrecompileHeader is needed or I didn't link the correct libraries. I really really wouldn't like to use the precompiled header and would like to know if you guys could please help me bypass this? Thanks guys.
Advertisement
(Sticks hands straight up into the air, lies flat on the ground, facing the ground) "I'M STUPID! I'M STUPID!" (Stupid Police come and handcuff him)

I forgot to link to d3dx9.lib lol :)

Anyways, I'm getting an 'Unexpected end of file' error now. It's on line '105', the line after the last line (which includes the } curly brace). Anyone please help?

#pragma comment(lib, "dxerr.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")#if defined(DEBUG) || defined(_DEBUG)	#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9d.lib")#else#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "d3d9.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "comctl32.lib")#include <windows.h>#include <d3d9.h>#include <d3dx9.h>#include <dxerr.h>bool CALLBACK IsDeviceAcceptable(D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, D3DFORMAT AdapterFormat, D3DFORMAT BackBufferFormat, bool bWindowed, void *pUserContext){    // Typically want to skip backbuffer formats that don't support alpha blending    IDirect3D9 *pD3D = DXUTGetD3DObject();     if(FAILED(pD3D->CheckDeviceFormat(pCaps->AdapterOrdinal, pCaps->DeviceType, AdapterFormat, D3DUSAGE_QUERY_POSTPIXELSHADER_BLENDING, D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE, BackBufferFormat)))        return false;    return true;}bool CALLBACK ModifyDeviceSettings(DXUTDeviceSettings *pDeviceSettings, const D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, void *pUserContext){    return true;}HRESULT CALLBACK OnCreateDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC *pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void *pUserContext){    return S_OK;}HRESULT CALLBACK OnResetDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 * pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC * pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void * pUserContext){    return S_OK;}void CALLBACK OnFrameMove(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext){}void CALLBACK OnFrameRender(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext){    HRESULT hr;    // Clear the render target and the zbuffer     V(pd3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0, 45, 50, 170), 1.0f, 0));    // Render the scene    if(SUCCEEDED(pd3dDevice->BeginScene()))    {        V(pd3dDevice->EndScene());    }}LRESULT CALLBACK MsgProc(HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam, bool *pbNoFurtherProcessing, void *pUserContext){    return 0;}void CALLBACK OnLostDevice(void *pUserContext){}void CALLBACK OnDestroyDevice(void *pUserContext){}INT WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int){    // Enable run-time memory check for debug builds.#if defined(DEBUG) | defined(_DEBUG)    _CrtSetDbgFlag(_CRTDBG_ALLOC_MEM_DF | _CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF);#endif    // Set the callback functions    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceCreated(OnCreateDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceReset(OnResetDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceLost(OnLostDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceDestroyed(OnDestroyDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackMsgProc(MsgProc);    DXUTSetCallbackFrameRender(OnFrameRender);    DXUTSetCallbackFrameMove(OnFrameMove);       // TODO: Perform any application-level initialization here    // Initialize DXUT and create the desired Win32 window and Direct3D device for the application    DXUTInit(true, true, true); // Parse the command line, handle the default hotkeys, and show msgboxes    DXUTSetCursorSettings(true, true); // Show the cursor and clip it when in full screen    DXUTCreateWindow(L"EmptyProject");    DXUTCreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, true, 640, 480, IsDeviceAcceptable, ModifyDeviceSettings);    // Start the render loop    DXUTMainLoop();    // TODO: Perform any application-level cleanup here    return DXUTGetExitCode();}
I couldnt see any problems but that can mean multiple things...a common thing that happens to me with large programs and forgetting a closing bracket somewhere.
Hope that helps!
You're missing an #endif for the #ifdef that you have at the top. You probably meant #endif instead of #else.

Also, you'll probably find that DXUT does things just slightly differently from what you want in the end, so I recommend copying the DXUT sources into your own project folder, and treating them as your own source. Edit away!
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Yeah tends to get angry with a missing #endif :)
I think I know what you guys mean, about editing the DXUT stuff. Thanks for the help, I'm really sorry but I'm really desparate. I managed to fix the errors on my own but now I still get the unresolved externals on the DXUT calls :(

#pragma comment(lib, "dxerr.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "dxguid.lib")//#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9d.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "d3dx9.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "d3d9.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "winmm.lib")#pragma comment(lib, "comctl32.lib")#include <windows.h>#include <d3d9.h>#include <d3dx9.h>#include <dxerr.h>#include <dxut.h>bool CALLBACK IsDeviceAcceptable(D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, D3DFORMAT AdapterFormat, D3DFORMAT BackBufferFormat, bool bWindowed, void *pUserContext){    // Typically want to skip backbuffer formats that don't support alpha blending    IDirect3D9 *pD3D = DXUTGetD3DObject();     if(FAILED(pD3D->CheckDeviceFormat(pCaps->AdapterOrdinal, pCaps->DeviceType, AdapterFormat, D3DUSAGE_QUERY_POSTPIXELSHADER_BLENDING, D3DRTYPE_TEXTURE, BackBufferFormat)))        return false;    return true;}bool CALLBACK ModifyDeviceSettings(DXUTDeviceSettings *pDeviceSettings, const D3DCAPS9 *pCaps, void *pUserContext){    return true;}HRESULT CALLBACK OnCreateDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC *pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void *pUserContext){    return S_OK;}HRESULT CALLBACK OnResetDevice(IDirect3DDevice9 * pd3dDevice, const D3DSURFACE_DESC * pBackBufferSurfaceDesc, void * pUserContext){    return S_OK;}void CALLBACK OnFrameMove(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext){}void CALLBACK OnFrameRender(IDirect3DDevice9 *pd3dDevice, double fTime, float fElapsedTime, void *pUserContext){    // Clear the render target and the zbuffer     pd3dDevice->Clear(0, NULL, D3DCLEAR_TARGET | D3DCLEAR_ZBUFFER, D3DCOLOR_ARGB(0, 45, 50, 170), 1.0f, 0);    // Render the scene    if(SUCCEEDED(pd3dDevice->BeginScene()))    {        pd3dDevice->EndScene();    }}LRESULT CALLBACK MsgProc(HWND hWnd, UINT uMsg, WPARAM wParam, LPARAM lParam, bool *pbNoFurtherProcessing, void *pUserContext){    return 0;}void CALLBACK OnLostDevice(void *pUserContext){}void CALLBACK OnDestroyDevice(void *pUserContext){}INT WINAPI WinMain(HINSTANCE, HINSTANCE, LPSTR, int){    // Enable run-time memory check for debug builds.#if defined(DEBUG) | defined(_DEBUG)    _CrtSetDbgFlag(_CRTDBG_ALLOC_MEM_DF | _CRTDBG_LEAK_CHECK_DF);#endif    // Set the callback functions    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceCreated(OnCreateDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceReset(OnResetDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceLost(OnLostDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackDeviceDestroyed(OnDestroyDevice);    DXUTSetCallbackMsgProc(MsgProc);    DXUTSetCallbackFrameRender(OnFrameRender);    DXUTSetCallbackFrameMove(OnFrameMove);       // TODO: Perform any application-level initialization here    // Initialize DXUT and create the desired Win32 window and Direct3D device for the application    DXUTInit(true, true, true); // Parse the command line, handle the default hotkeys, and show msgboxes    DXUTSetCursorSettings(true, true); // Show the cursor and clip it when in full screen    DXUTCreateWindow(L"EmptyProject");    DXUTCreateDevice(D3DADAPTER_DEFAULT, true, 640, 480, IsDeviceAcceptable, ModifyDeviceSettings);    // Start the render loop    DXUTMainLoop();    // TODO: Perform any application-level cleanup here    return DXUTGetExitCode();}
Post the errors. Have you added the DXUT framework to your project?
Why not just "#include dxstdafx.h" in your program? It has all the stuff in it to include the myraid of other dxut .h files. You don't have to use a precompiled header if you don't want to.

--------------------------Most of what I know came from Frank D. Luna's DirectX books

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement