Sign in to follow this  

[web] Installing domain on dedicated server

This topic is 4305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, Ok, I have at least 3-4 dedicated servers, and know my way around linux fairly well. on several of them which I have used, I simply installed cpanel and it has been oddly enough taking care of most of it for me, but I finally have ran into some questions that hopefully someone can answer. Please keep in mind that I _DO_ Understand fully how to use HTTPD, as well as both name and IP based virtual hosts. That is not the problem at all, but rather what I have to do with BIND, etc. The hosting company gave me 2 nameservers, but this is a dedicated server, I set the domain to point to those nameservers, and set up the name based virtual host already. What else is there I have to do? Thanks, for the people that actualy know this im sure this is a newbieish comment, I remember one time I researched this in the past and remember all these A settings and such, but any links, hints, keywords, etc that will help me out will be a lifesaver as im under time constraints here. Richard

I'm not entorely sure, but I think you are on the right track with your "A record". An A record tells the client where to find a website, while an MX record tells the client where to find the mailserver, etcetera.

Yea, I remember such things, but I guess im looking at it from a theoretical approch. You see, they gave me two obviously public nameservers, but generaly I thought with BIND I would be therefor be creating my own nameservers. Im quite confused with this.

Quote:
Original post by PaulCesar
Yea, I remember such things, but I guess im looking at it from a theoretical approch. You see, they gave me two obviously public nameservers, but generaly I thought with BIND I would be therefor be creating my own nameservers. Im quite confused with this.

I would have thought the same. BIND should be acting as a nameserver. You would point the domain to the machine with bind on, which would then tell any requests which IP to use for www, which for ftp etc....

When configuring your domain you would point the primary DNS to your BIND machine....?

I generally find it preferable not to run nameservers. Therefore I always have my provider manage the nameservers (they give me a control panel where I can set up records in the zone), and manage the web servers myself.

This is because I don't want the hassle of setting up DNS correctly.

Mark

Quote:
The hosting company gave me 2 nameservers, but this is a dedicated server, I set the domain to point to those nameservers, and set up the name based virtual host already. What else is there I have to do?

I had a hard time following this discussion, but from what I gather, there is nothing left for you to do. The owners of the name servers need to set up records for your domain.

This topic is 4305 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.