• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jolyqr

Game engine for beginers

This topic is 4551 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm used to develope some demos using opengl, but I have never tried any game engine. I'm looking for free game engines which could be used by beginers... I was wondering how one creates a game engine ?

Advertisement
What prgramming language? How advanced are you in that language? What kind of games do you want to make? Are you willing to pay, or do want a free one?

http://radioteeth.desinc.net/glbase.zip is a project i started a while ago, which is meant to be a codebase for creating opengl powered applications.

glbase was meant to be a learning tool for myself and others who i share it with. it is not meant to be the best/most efficient code base for gl apps. it's just a basic framework.

it supports a basic materials system, texture handling, console system/cvars/cmds, GUI system.

i've been meaning to fix it up a little bit before releasing it, and documenting the code some more, but i think i'm just going to release it as is for now.

feedback on glbase would be really cool, so tell me what you think. :)

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
What prgramming language? How advanced are you in that language? What kind of games do you want to make? Are you willing to pay, or do want a free one?

I know programming in C/C++ using OpenGL. As I said, I'm still student, I'm a beginer. I'm looking for first person shooter engines and free if possible...

I think that as a beginner you should set your goals quite a bit lower than a first person shooter...

Try something like pacman first, then move up to space invaders, then maybe a turn based strategy game or rpg, and only then a realtime system.

Here's a couple to check out:

Game Maker - Very easy to use. Free. Mostly 2D.
Torque Game Builder - Some what easy to use. $100 for a full indy lisence. Tons of support. Mostly 2D, but can handle 3D models.
Torque Game Engine - Can be easy or difficult, depending on what you want to do. Free to mod. $100 if you want access to the source code. Fully 3D. Was originally developed for Tribes and Tribes 2, so FPS games are really straight forward with it.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!