Sign in to follow this  

Game engine for beginers

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm used to develope some demos using opengl, but I have never tried any game engine. I'm looking for free game engines which could be used by beginers... I was wondering how one creates a game engine ?

http://radioteeth.desinc.net/glbase.zip is a project i started a while ago, which is meant to be a codebase for creating opengl powered applications.

glbase was meant to be a learning tool for myself and others who i share it with. it is not meant to be the best/most efficient code base for gl apps. it's just a basic framework.

it supports a basic materials system, texture handling, console system/cvars/cmds, GUI system.

i've been meaning to fix it up a little bit before releasing it, and documenting the code some more, but i think i'm just going to release it as is for now.

feedback on glbase would be really cool, so tell me what you think. :)

Quote:
Original post by Sr_Guapo
What prgramming language? How advanced are you in that language? What kind of games do you want to make? Are you willing to pay, or do want a free one?

I know programming in C/C++ using OpenGL. As I said, I'm still student, I'm a beginer. I'm looking for first person shooter engines and free if possible...

I think that as a beginner you should set your goals quite a bit lower than a first person shooter...

Try something like pacman first, then move up to space invaders, then maybe a turn based strategy game or rpg, and only then a realtime system.

Here's a couple to check out:

Game Maker - Very easy to use. Free. Mostly 2D.
Torque Game Builder - Some what easy to use. $100 for a full indy lisence. Tons of support. Mostly 2D, but can handle 3D models.
Torque Game Engine - Can be easy or difficult, depending on what you want to do. Free to mod. $100 if you want access to the source code. Fully 3D. Was originally developed for Tribes and Tribes 2, so FPS games are really straight forward with it.

Hope that helps,
Matt

Quote:
Original post by walle
I don't really know witch engine to recomend...but I have an answer to your second question:

Enguinity

The above link is really interesting, but the programming level is a little high.

The author have not really say what concepts should be known before being able to create an engine. That's why I'm asking the following question:

What are the c++ concepts I must know in order to understand the coding of a game engine?

[Edited by - jolyqr on March 4, 2006 3:49:18 PM]

in case you just want to create a game you should check out some easier programming like Dark Basic or Blitz3D , if your a beginner and your using an engine your gonna get screwed badly , try making a simple game engine first so that you can know what to expect when using a commercial one.

The concepts you should be familiar with are merely the basics of programming + OOP which is indispensable if you plan to make an engine and some experience with any 3d/2d engines e.g. DirectX, OpenGL.

The best advice to offer is to make a complete game first, because only then you will understand why you need a game engine.

Quote:
Original post by Code Fusion
in case you just want to create a game you should check out some easier programming like Dark Basic or Blitz3D , if your a beginner and your using an engine your gonna get screwed badly , try making a simple game engine first so that you can know what to expect when using a commercial one.

The concepts you should be familiar with are merely the basics of programming + OOP which is indispensable if you plan to make an engine and some experience with any 3d/2d engines e.g. DirectX, OpenGL.

The best advice to offer is to make a complete game first, because only then you will understand why you need a game engine.

Indeed, I'm not a real beginer. I mean, I have done some simple games using opengl, such as shoot them up. Besides, I know basic principles of OOP, but they are still some principles that I don't know and I have never used (those that are used in game engines).

I have ever used Dark Basic it's a good language for beginers, but now I want to improve my knowledge. I know I don't have enough level to create commercial game engines. I'm used to creating games from scratch. I want to learn about game engines: how they work, how they are organised, how to create them.

I'm looking for game engine tutorials, which answer above questions, but which don't get too much deeper in the explanation of game engine creation.

This topic is 4300 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.