Preconditions to be called Dynamic World?

Started by
3 comments, last by NotAYakk 18 years, 1 month ago
it seems 'Dynamic World' is the most hot topic about future mmo games. but what's Dynamic World in detail? what's most important term to be called Dynamic World? Dynamic Look : Times passing, Weathers changes, Natures changes, People ages etc, Dynamic Elements : If player destroy (element here), the (element here) no longer exist. conversely, player can build (element here) Dynamic Factions : The enemy of yesterday can be friend today. and vice versa (including NPCs) Dynamic Realms : New realm rises or old realm falls by players Dynamic Personal Identity : good or evil, goodness or badness, player change it whenever they want there might be more important terms to be called Dynamic World. what do you think?
Advertisement
I think that you hit on top elements, at least in my view. I had started a similar thread a while back because I wondered what other people see "dynamic" meaning.
I think you missed one of the most important one: Dynamic Economy, with currencies and items changing in relative value, ine relation to offer and demand... But that's only my opinion.

And possibly, permadeath, since whatever changes changes, in this world, so do the PCs...
Yours faithfully, Nicolas FOURNIALS
+ Dynamic politics?

The thing is that a dynamic world have too much stuff need to be implemented and they all are not easy!

As I said in the "Future or Fad" thread, MMO is a fad, because dynamic world is only a dream that will never come true. The reason for this is the same as it was told in The Matrix movie:

The first matrix was created to be a perfect world, where everybody lives in peace. As time goes on, people start complaining about this and that until the world fall apart.

MMO will be like the matrix, a dynamic world will cause a lot of conflicts between players and realms. In the end, developers will need to hire "agents" to police the game, and it will all end in a big disaster
All my posts are based on a setting of Medival Fantasy, unless stated in the post otherwise
A static shared world is one in which the player's (or group's) actions have no impact on the state of the shared world.

A dynamic shared world is a world in which the player's actions have an impact on the state of the world.

A damped shared world is a world in which the player's actions have an impact on the state of the world, but the world reacts in such a way that the impact fades to nothing after a short period of time.

An inconsequentially dynamic world is a dynamic world in which the state changes the players can cause are inconsequential to other player's experiences. "Housing zones" are, for the most part, inconsequentially dynamic.

Many worlds have dynamic economies (Diablo II had an economy that was dynamic, even if nothing else in the game was dynamic).

Most MMORPGs are damped shared worlds -- in Everquest, if you kill a creature, the creature is gone for everyone else in the world until it respawns. The respawn resets the area to the same state as if you had never been there -- it damps your impact on the world. The speed of respawn determines how fast your actions are damped.

DAoC PvP is less damped. While guards get weaker the more territory you control, you don't lose control of your assets automatically every 10 minutes.

WoW is a very damped and static game. Few resources are shared in the world -- most resources are in instances (which are highly static).

Make sense?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement