Sign in to follow this  

Any GUI resources?

This topic is 4302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I want to have a go at building my own GUI system for my engine and want to look at some others first to get some ideas. What GUI do you think is nicely layed out and extendable? Thanks!

I got mine working just fine. Its built with C++ and OpenGL, uses TinyXML for serialization and its really easy to extend into other controls. You can find it at http://openglgui.sourceforge.net

Then there's CrazyEd GUI at http://www.cegui.org.uk
There are many other ones, although most of them are outdated. Search the forums for 'GUI' and you'll find dosens of threads on them.

Good luck.

I don't know which programming language you're using nor which API, but Chad over at c-unit has some DX9 (and Managed DX) tutorials. 4 of these tutorials are dedicated to building a GUI system. You might have a look these to get some ideas. Or the GUI in the DX Sample framework.

Even if you use OpenGL, you can still have a look at the tutorials to get a basic idea how to go about designing a GUI framework.

[Edit: I just checked: The GUI tutorials are only available as MDX tutorials]

There's a nice series of articles on GDNet that explain how to construct a fairly full-featured GUI: Clicky. It's mostly API-agnostic, and you should be taking the design ideas away from it rather than some niggling implementation details.

This topic is 4302 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.