Sign in to follow this  

Internet Sharing at my house

This topic is 4304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have three computers at home, and I want to share my internet connection on all of them. I have 5 network cards. On the first computer I have three, and the other two computers have one each. On the first computer: One Network connection is connected to the internet service, and the other two are to the other computers. I have Windows XP (Sp2 on the server), and at least Windows XP on the others. My problem is that I can't simply make all of them be connected to the internet at the same time. I guess I found part of the problem which is that XP internet connection sharing allows the shared connection to target only one other adapter. It really dounts me that I can't find any solution as I am a Computer and Communications Engineering Student. But this subject is scarcly documented.. Plz i need your help

I really need a solution for this without using the router
and am sorry for the inconvinience about the board conflict.. maybe I'll do that.. But if anyone steps across this post, please help

try brigding the 2 internal network cards (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 together, maybe just use 1 ip or use both these ips) and then apply the ics for your 3rd card. should work, i use something similar with openvpn ...

IIRC, Internet Connection Sharing shares one DEVICE, so any computer on that device would be shared. Thus, you can connect the two other computers to a hub, and the hub to the third computer, which is connected to your internet.

If you can't get any more equipment, then I'd move one network card to one of the other computers, and daisy-chain them. Computer A is connected to the internet, and does sharing with computer B. Computer B is connected to computer A, and also uses the second card for connection sharing for computer C. Computer C is connected to computer B.

It is scarcely documented because it is a poor design for a network. If your central computer is off, all nodes in the chain will lose connectivity. That is similar to a token-ring network or 10-Base2 (coax) networking that has long gone the way of the dodo bird.

Windows does not perform well as a firewall/router for a network (or, at least it didn't when I worked with Windows on my networks). Investigate using a Unix-based server in this role. Or, as the others have suggested, go buy a router with a firewall that has the feature set you require.

Another approach (I still don't see this as a good fix, though) is to only use two network cards in your 'server', and have a hub hanging off of the second interface, into which the other two PCs are plugged into. Your Windows XP connection sharing will likely work then... provided that it is not designed solely for NAT'ing -one- other machine. I don't know, I don't use Windows anymore, so I can't offer advice there.

This topic is 4304 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.