• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyBravo

Connect my pc to the internet through my unix machine which is on a router?

This topic is 4642 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've got a solaris machine running as my server, and it is connected to the internet through a router. I want to put a second network card on the server and connect my laptop into it, so the laptop can access the internet through the server. Is this possible, and what would I have to do? I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to google on this matter :) Thank you.

Advertisement
Guest Anonymous Poster
My skull is filled with yogurt.

[Edited by - Null and Void on March 4, 2006 10:26:41 PM]

ignoring the troll....

this might help: http://yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialIptablesNetworkGateway.html

I've done this in the past - basically you need to chain from eth1 to eth0, set up some sort of network address translation (NAT) on the server (the Squid proxy server might work - though I haven't tried it) and you should be good to go...

Although - with the prices of home internet routers being so low, you might want to think about getting one with a 4-port switch and connecting the two machines through that.

[EDIT] - I just noticed that you said that you _are_ connecting through a router... why not then get a switch and connect the switch uplink to the router then the server and your laptop to the switch... ?

Quote:
Original post by DJHoy

[EDIT] - I just noticed that you said that you _are_ connecting through a router... why not then get a switch and connect the switch uplink to the router then the server and your laptop to the switch... ?

I just got a free hub so I can connect both my computers to the internet.

Although they both can still access the dhcp on the router, I can't route connections to my internet ip to my server computer anymore, as I could when it was connected directly to the router.

So before I go out any buy one do you think a switch would allow me to route internet connections to my server?

Thanks alot.

edit....

Kinda weird, i can now connect to my server from the net. alls fine now.

[Edited by - johnnyBravo on March 4, 2006 4:23:07 AM]

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!