Sign in to follow this  

Ambient Normalmapping

This topic is 4307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, last time I asked about the HL2 way of doing the normal radiosity mapping. Thx for the link regarding the info btw. I tried it out, and it looks oke, but I am not stunned. I also though about using the Ambient Cubemaps on everything because normal maps are better visual then. But on the geometry used to generate the cubemaps, you'll get the color of the 'other side' if you use the world space normal. I though about inverting the normal, but the result wasn't really satisfying, so I'll have to use the 3 lightmaps for the static scene it seams, and the ambient cube map for the dynamic objects. But my question is, are there any good others ways to store precalculated lighting data such as radiosity with nice soft shadows, and use it realtime, and still be able to see normalmapping nicely? I presume PRT with Irradiance Volumes can handle this, but it seams quite hard to add this fast and robustly. When you take a look at the screenshots of kameo, you really see the normal maps everywhere, while they only use a few lights in the scene (it can't come only from the sun). They must have some special trick to fake this I presume .. Any tips anyone? Regards, Kenzo

Hi there,

I don't know if this is what you're after, but i'm rendering my scenes the following way, which enables me to use precomputed radiosity, dynamic lighting, and normal/spcular mapping.

for any scene material, I have the following:

1 set of texccoords for diffuse, normal, specular, offset, specular color.
1 set of texcoords for radiosity+sun, and radiosity without sun.

I pass the following to the shader:

tex1 = diffuse RGBA
tex2 = normal RGB + height A
tex3 = specular color RGB + specular level A
tex4 = radiosity-sun
tex5 = radiosity+sun
tex6 = shadow map

In the shader, dependant upon distance from camera, I apply combinations of different textures.

I modulate between tex4 and tex5 dependant on the shadow value.

I hope this helps.

problem with this is that I presume your radiosity doesn't show any normal mapping, since you're not using it to compute the lighting, and only fetch a color from a texture. You could perhaps generate your radiosity from a very very detailed mesh, if your normal maps have been created from this, but this isn't possible for me ..

regards,
Kenzo

Quote:
Original post by Guoshima
are there any good others ways to store precalculated lighting data such as radiosity with nice soft shadows, and use it realtime, and still be able to see normalmapping nicely?

One option is to use ambient occlusion and bent normals to sample diffuse environment maps. This requires very little pre-computed data and is very efficient to render.

--Chris

This topic is 4307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.