Sign in to follow this  
Pwnstar56

Need Help With Programs

Well, I've been using C++ for awhile and now I'm moving on into directX. I have bought the book- Programming RolePlaying Games with DirectX. Well, for some reason I can't get any of the progams off of the disk that came with the book. Where can I get some programs to run it? (I'm using Dev-C++ if it makes a difference.)

You can't read the data off of the CD, or are the files on it just not compatible with Dev-C++ ? If Dev-C++ doesn't recognize the files, my bet would be that they're Visual Studio project files. If you can't read the CD at all, then you've either got a bad CD-ROM or a bad CD. If the CD's bad, then just return it and exchange it for a new copy.

Those *.dsw files are project files for Microsoft Visual Studio I believe. You can still get those files to work by opening a Windows API project in Dev C++. But you'll need to do a little research to know which *.lib file to link to your project accordingly. I believe that it is written in an early edition of DirectX8 as well so if your using the DirectX9 December2005 some of the functions might be modified (like Sprite that now use Matricies).