Sign in to follow this  
eelke_folmer

salaries in the game industry

http://www.edery.org/2006/03/what-does-top-entry-level-talent-cost-nowadays/ Students who applied for engineering jobs seem to be getting offers in the 70s — in some cases, the high 70s. The same students got offers approximately 10K higher from companies in other industries; i.e. Oracle, Microsoft, etc. So the gap between game company offers and non-game company offers appears to be narrowing for engineers

Quote:
Original post by eelke_folmer
http://www.edery.org/2006/03/what-does-top-entry-level-talent-cost-nowadays/

Students who applied for engineering jobs seem to be getting offers in the 70s — in some cases, the high 70s. The same students got offers approximately 10K higher from companies in other industries; i.e. Oracle, Microsoft, etc. So the gap between game company offers and non-game company offers appears to be narrowing for engineers

There isn't a difference at the senior levels, in fact, game companies can sometimes pay quite a bit more because bonus's can be 50%-100% of the salary.

Quote:
Original post by EvilDecl81
There isn't a difference at the senior levels, in fact, game companies can sometimes pay quite a bit more because bonus's can be 50%-100% of the salary.

What company is that? Cuz i'd like to get on that.

It seems that bonuses are very mythical at many places unless you worked on a hit game, i.e. if the company makes $100 mil you get a $5k bonus, etc. Always remember that you won't get any sort of bonus till your boss's boss gets that new yacht or ferrari (and then still probably not).

Secondly, the $70k figure was for MIT graduates, which sounds about right. They could go work in aerospace, defense, science, etc. The games industry would be a bad career move IMO.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by ironpoint

It seems that bonuses are very mythical at many places unless you worked on a hit game, i.e. if the company makes $100 mil you get a $5k bonus, etc. Always remember that you won't get any sort of bonus till your boss's boss gets that new yacht or ferrari (and then still probably not).

I've experienced a few empty bonus promises in some of the smaller games companies I've worked at, but with my recent experience with larger games companies they have pretty much stuck to what they promised.

I now get about 50% of my earnings in bonuses and royalties, and so this year my £40K UKP (~$70K) salary has been nearly doubled to about £75K ($130K), based mainly on royalties for PS2 games (which have sold several million units).

This maybe at the top end of the scale in the UK at least, and I know I could probably get similar money in other parts of the software industry, but there is no way on earth that writing banking or database software is going to be anything like as much fun as writing PS2 and PS3 games!!