Sign in to follow this  
Xentery

Beggining on OS X

Hi there I have been interested in developing games for a while. I made a few php/mysql driven web based rpgs. These weren't all that difficult to throw together as PHP is a rather easy language to learn. Anyways I picked up a copy of C++ Primer Plus (5th Edition) and have been reading through that, building simple console based programs. The only c++ game I have done so far is a number guessing game. I have looked through the for beginners section of the site, and noticed that most articles are concerned with directx. To my knowledge DirectX is a microsoft technology. Since I am using the Macintosh platform these will not be of help to me. I am wondering if anyone knows of any usefull articles or books that will be able to help me out. Thanks.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Check out SDL w/ OpenGL.

I'm sure there's a book out there for this.

Hello, Xentery!

DirectX is indeed a Microsoft technology. And yes, it can not be used on MAC OS X or Linux. For this we have another API, OpenGL.

OpenGL is a cross-platform API. Meaning that you can display graphics on almost all OS'es. Note that I say "graphics". OpenGL is graphics-only whereas DirectX support sound, input, installing of software, media playback etc. You can use OpenAL or FMOD for sound, and you can use SDL for input and/or window set-up. Just because OpenGL doesn't have built-in functionality for input and sound, it's still a valid choice and many commercial games use it for their graphics rendering(including Doom3 and Quake4 f.ex).

There are a few articles around here about OpenGL too. So you might want to head over to the OpenGL forum.

Hope this helps! [smile]

I'll put in another vote for SDL + OpenGL; it's a very quick and easy way to get started in OS X (or any OS). You might also check out idevgames.com. The very knowledgeable people there will likely be able to help you with any Mac-specific problems you run into.