Sign in to follow this  
am2pm

c++ syntax

Hello gamedev community. I'm starting to learn openGL with c++ and have some problems. Since now, i've programmed for about 1.5 years in java - but it became boring, coz of disability making' the 'real' games. So i've decided to change my 'profile' and learn c++ and opengl. That means - the oop and general programing paradigms aren't strange for me - but i have some problems to 'check' the syntax (and maybe in some ways the semantics) of c++. After this 'fascinating' history - thats my Problem i'm sitting the whole day at:
const int worldi = 10;
const int worldj = 10;
const float areaSide = 4.0;

typedef float Vector[3];

typedef struct{
		Vector position;
		Vector normals[4]; 
		Vector coord[4];
		float height;
} area;

area world[worldi][worldj];

GLvoid InitWorld(){
	area tmpArea;
	for(int i = 0; i < worldi; i++){
		for(int j = 0; j < worldj; j++){
			tmpArea = world[i][j];
*********************	tmpArea.position = {float(i * areaSide), 0.0, float(j * areaSide)};

(...)

}
	}
}

The debugger says: Syntax error :'{' in the, with stars marked, line... The next error is: Systaxerror: There's no ';' before { - also in the same line... I checked c++ tutorials and other things - sytax seems to be correct, but i dunno what it is... position is a Vector - means: 3-float-item-array. Init of an array in that way int bla[3] = { 1, 2, 3} is correct... Is there a problem with the call-by-refference/value concept? Huh... java was a bit easier to learn ;) Thanks for any kind of help... edit: of course theres some code before and after this section ;) edit2: the tags - sorry ;)

hey,
when you post code like that it would be nice to use the source tags. This is what your code looks like with source tags:

const int worldi = 10;
const int worldj = 10;

typedef float Vector[3];

typedef struct{
Vector position;
Vector normals[4];
Vector coord[4];
float height;
} area;

GLvoid InitWorld(){
area tmpArea;
tmpArea = world[i][j];
********************* tmpArea.position = {float(i * areaSide), 0.0, float(j * areaSide)};

(...)

}
}
}

To use these source tags, just do [ source] and [/ source], but don't do the spaces like I did. This makes your code A LOT more easier to read and understand.

Chad.

const int worldi = 10;
const int worldj = 10;

typedef float Vector[3];

typedef struct{
Vector position;
Vector normals[4];
Vector coord[4];
float height;
} area;

GLvoid InitWorld(){
world[i][j].position[0] = float(i * areaSide);
world[i][j].position[1] = 0.0;
world[i][j].position[2] = float(j * areaSide);

(...)

}
}
}

The few problems were that when you create a variable called "area tempArea" it makes a copy of the value, it is not a reference like in Java, so it will not change "world" at all. Remember this well. The second was you have to assign each component of the vector individually.

I think you can only initialise arrays like that if you're declaring the variable on the same line.

I.e.
int[] intVec = {1, 2, 3}; // OK
Vector vec = {1.0F, 1.5F, 2.0F}; // probably OK
intVec = {4, 5}; // not OK

As an aside, I think your syntax for casting is wrong; it should be
(float)(i * areaSide)

... and besides, those values can be implicitly converted to float so you don't need to cast them at all.

Quote:
Original post by Bob Janova
I think you can only initialise arrays like that if you're declaring the variable on the same line.

I.e.
int[] intVec = {1, 2, 3}; // OK
Vector vec = {1.0F, 1.5F, 2.0F}; // probably OK
intVec = {4, 5}; // not OK

(float)(i * areaSide)

... and besides, those values can be implicitly converted to float so you don't need to cast them at all.

Exactly. Though the casting is correct, there is C-like casting and functional casting which is what is shown.

Quote:
[code](float)(i * areaSide)

That casting syntax was also a bit strange for me, but i saw it in one of the nehe tutorials and i took it so.
I made the casts only because of the debug error - i thought maybe there could be the reason for the errors...

Quote:

aha... strange but k...

Thanks anyone for the help - this community is really amazing. It couln't be faster ;)