G.U.I's or whatever click links are called in c++

Started by
4 comments, last by superlative_s 18 years, 1 month ago
How do you make c++ programs so that you can click on things to GOTO rather then entering a keyword? I'm designing a word scramble game for my Composition teacher, and its fairly good, but i would rather you click on a "hint" button than type in "hint" and hit enter. Please help me!
Advertisement
Is this a console program you're working on?
Console program? What is the difference between console and regular?
By console program, I mean a program that runs in a console window - like a DOS or command prompt if you're running on Windows - as opposed to a program that runs in a window with controls or whatnot.
If you are programming using Windows, you are probably using an IDE - like Visual Studio, Code::Blocks or DevCPP (if you don't, I urge you to get one of these - Visual Studio 8.0 Express is free nad the 2 others are open-source softwares).

If you have these IDE, you'll be able to easily build GUI projects - each of them give the possiblity to create Win32 projects that will enable you to control your GUI.

Be aware that the world of GUI programming is not easy. You'll have to read a lot of stuff before beeing able to use your knowledge. Fortunately, there are a lot of tutorials on the web (search for "Win32 C++ tutorial" on google).

If you are trying to create a linux program, you'll have more choice: the bare X library (you'll control the X client at the very low level - not easy at all) Qt (C++ GUI library), GTK+ (C GUI library), wxWidget (C++ corss platform GUI library) and so on.

The complexity of GUI programs is far beyond the complexity of console-based programs. Be patient :)

HTH,
Then yes it is a console program. I am using DevC++ and i will search for those instructions on google. Thank you both.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement