• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Thunder_Hawk

Intern Salary

This topic is 4480 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

One of the forms I'm filling out for a possible game programming internship requires that I fill out a desired salary field. The truth is that I'm more interested in the experience (I've never had such an opportunity previously) than any payment I might earn. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should enter? I checked the referenced GamaSutra articles in the FAQ, and unless I missed something, they don't really apply to my situation. The web form alows for different ways to measure payment (salary, hourly/daily/weekly wage, etc.). Please mention any experience you have had in these matters when making suggestions.

Advertisement
In the UK, the intern's that I have know work for about 10-13k a year, which in US dollars works to around 17-21k.

If its the experience and not the money your interested in, I would flag about $18,000.

Good luck on your application :)
Spree

Quote:
Original post by Thunder_Hawk
One of the forms I'm filling out for a possible game programming internship requires that I fill out a desired salary field. The truth is that I'm more interested in the experience (I've never had such an opportunity previously) than any payment I might earn. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should enter? I checked the referenced GamaSutra articles in the FAQ, and unless I missed something, they don't really apply to my situation. The web form alows for different ways to measure payment (salary, hourly/daily/weekly wage, etc.).

Please mention any experience you have had in these matters when making suggestions.

I don't know about game industry pay, but the going rate for an intern at MS is ~$4500 a month. Game industry might be half that though ;)

At my university, statistics shows that students can expect salaries from 1733.33 CAD to 3466.66 CAD (1,494.31 USD to 2,988.63 USD, using today's exchange rate 1:0.8621) a month with an average of about 2383,33 CAD (2054.68). They are also some exceptions, depending a lot from experience, how many credits you obtained in your degree and where you work (like the case of MS as previously stated).

JFF

EDIT : I might also add that we are usually considered well paid for interns... so you might not be able to get to the higher part of that range.

Quote:
Original post by EvilDecl81
I don't know about game industry pay, but the going rate for an intern at MS is ~$4500 a month. Game industry might be half that though ;)
A little higher than that, actually.

I just got an intership with IBM. I'm getting paid $22.75/hour (USD).
It's not a game programming intership, but thought it might help.

Guest Anonymous Poster
Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Original post by EvilDecl81
A little higher than that, actually.

File that under bullshit :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!