Intern Salary

Started by
17 comments, last by frob 18 years, 1 month ago
One of the forms I'm filling out for a possible game programming internship requires that I fill out a desired salary field. The truth is that I'm more interested in the experience (I've never had such an opportunity previously) than any payment I might earn. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should enter? I checked the referenced GamaSutra articles in the FAQ, and unless I missed something, they don't really apply to my situation. The web form alows for different ways to measure payment (salary, hourly/daily/weekly wage, etc.). Please mention any experience you have had in these matters when making suggestions.
______________________________________________________________________________________The Phoenix shall arise from the ashes... ThunderHawk -- ¦þ"So. Any n00bs need some pointers? I have a std::vector<n00b*> right here..." - ZahlmanMySite | Forum FAQ | File Formats______________________________________________________________________________________
Advertisement
In the UK, the intern's that I have know work for about 10-13k a year, which in US dollars works to around 17-21k.

If its the experience and not the money your interested in, I would flag about $18,000.

Good luck on your application :)
Spree
Quote:Original post by Thunder_Hawk
One of the forms I'm filling out for a possible game programming internship requires that I fill out a desired salary field. The truth is that I'm more interested in the experience (I've never had such an opportunity previously) than any payment I might earn. Does anyone here have any suggestions as to what I should enter? I checked the referenced GamaSutra articles in the FAQ, and unless I missed something, they don't really apply to my situation. The web form alows for different ways to measure payment (salary, hourly/daily/weekly wage, etc.).

Please mention any experience you have had in these matters when making suggestions.

I don't know about game industry pay, but the going rate for an intern at MS is ~$4500 a month. Game industry might be half that though ;)
EvilDecl81
I interned at LucasArts 8 years ago and was paid $8/hour.
YOU GET PAID?!?!?!

Man I want to intern now!
We should do this the Microsoft way: "WAHOOOO!!! IT COMPILES! SHIP IT!"
At my university, statistics shows that students can expect salaries from 1733.33 CAD to 3466.66 CAD (1,494.31 USD to 2,988.63 USD, using today's exchange rate 1:0.8621) a month with an average of about 2383,33 CAD (2054.68). They are also some exceptions, depending a lot from experience, how many credits you obtained in your degree and where you work (like the case of MS as previously stated).

JFF

EDIT : I might also add that we are usually considered well paid for interns... so you might not be able to get to the higher part of that range.
Quote:Original post by EvilDecl81
I don't know about game industry pay, but the going rate for an intern at MS is ~$4500 a month. Game industry might be half that though ;)
A little higher than that, actually.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
An intern at microsoft would make 54k in a year? Thats a pretty wild salary...
||--------------------------||Black Hole Productionshttp://bhp.nydus.netResident expert on stuffmax621@barrysworld.com||--------------------------||
I just got an intership with IBM. I'm getting paid $22.75/hour (USD).
It's not a game programming intership, but thought it might help.
- Bnty_HntrCome visit Triple Buffer, a great source for DirectX and other tutorials.Check out my Blog.Or, join Triple Buffer by checking out our Help Wanted post.
Quote:Original post by Promit
Quote:Original post by EvilDecl81
A little higher than that, actually.

File that under bullshit :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement