another port forwarding problem

Started by
2 comments, last by squirrel_of_death 18 years, 1 month ago
Hi there. I am writing my first networking code, and made a little test app. I have Tomcat server, which is working fine, made a servlet, which also works fine on localhost, and now I made a c++ app using the WinHttp lib, which locally connects to the Tomcat, gets the 'hello world' from my servlet - all this is very cool. But I can't get this working outside of a localhost connection. I have a belkin router, model F5D7231-4, and I've done port forwarding before - I have azureus and emule all good with that. So I'm not sure what's up. As per advice here in earlier threads, I am using incoming port 15951 ( why not ), which I have also configured Tomcat to listen to. Tomcat used to be on port 80, but just for the sake of testing this problem I changed it to 15951 for now, until I solve this problem. My IP is 68.174.140.19. There is surely nothing wrong with my code, as this is working fine on localhost. The test of success should simply be that the address : 68.174.140.19:15951 should show the Tomcat front page. Any ideas here? [Edited by - squirrel_of_death on May 2, 2006 8:12:15 PM]
Advertisement
Worked for me.
Quote:Original post by Mastaba
Worked for me.

^
Yay, that is very good news. Thanks!

But, then the question remains, why can't I see it? OK, so I type the ip:port, and this goes straight to the router ( it must, as my laptop does not know the real IP 68.174.140.19, it thinks its something else given to it by the router - therefore there is no short-cirtuiting going on, it must go to the router ). Then the router presumably says, aha, this is for me, let's redirect to the right computer - which is back to mine. Fine again. This actually works, without the port number in the address. But when I add the port address, I get 'can't connect', ie. no server at the other end. So any ideas what's up with this? It would be *really* nice if I could develop further with the pure IP / port variables. Not the end of the world mind you, but nice.

[Edited by - squirrel_of_death on May 2, 2006 8:12:25 PM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement