Sign in to follow this  
Dko

Visual Basic and data bases.

Hiya im usualy using C++ in my endevors to learn programing but recently ive wanted to design a simple windows based application to make characters for the PnP RPGs me and my friends play(and print them). Sence speed isn't that much of an issue I was thinking of using the simpleness of Visual Basic.net I also have(and I at least usto know a good deal about programing with V.6 of VB). Ive heard here and there about something in the visual line of programing about databases. PnP rpgs use a lot of data to make the characters (items, stats) and if these 'databases' are anything like the ones I know (Ones created by Microsofts Access/Excell. I know these are very diffrent programs but they both basically collect and orginze data.) it might help me save a good deal of time organizing data and essialy adding new stuff(New books all the time.) Is this a good guess as to what these are? If so would it be simple enougth to learn and implement them?

Yes, usually they (the databases) are the exact same thing. The relational database is a collection of tables and precompiled queries (SQL). While the software interface can change from one dbms system to another, the underlying concept is the same. a dbms is typically the prefered way to store a massive amount of data over a long period of time, in cases where multiple clients (players, admins) require read/write access to the data. In fact this forum is no-doubt stored as a relational database.
The only difference would be that you'd need to use a software library to access the database at a basic level, rather then a windows app such as MS Access. You'd probably be able to use tables and queries that you create in Access, however, in which case you simply write code to invoke the query and handle the results.