UML anyone acually use it?

Started by
10 comments, last by DrewGreen 18 years, 1 month ago
I've been looking at uml software for c++ IDEs and was just curius does anyone acually use or find it useful. I've been looking at it for a few weeks and can see how it could be really useful for software engineering.
Advertisement
Certainly, I used to have list of tools in the Software Engineering FAQ but it got wiped and I haven't fix it yet :/

A favorite around here is Enterprise Architect.

Rational Rose is one of popular ones, but don't personally like it.

Microsoft makes a special version of Visio with UML extentions that works with the Architect edition of MSVC.

There's a bunch more that I'm forgetting...
- The trade-off between price and quality does not exist in Japan. Rather, the idea that high quality brings on cost reduction is widely accepted.-- Tajima & Matsubara
I think UML is very handy, but I don't use it. Not for the simple programs I write, anyway. If you were doing a large-scale project, where you'd have like, a hundred classes or so, or say for an rpg game, then UML would be wise to use to keep track of all that.
Enterprise architect is excellent. I own the professional version and use it to visualise more complex architectures (like the flatfile database engine I created last year).
For simple things with only a few classes it's usually overkill though.

I don't at this stage use the entire UML, but mainly use cases, sequence diagrams, and class diagrams.
I found Objecteering rather good. There is a free community edition. A quick search on google might give you other results (visual paradigm, Borland Together, and so on).

HTH,
Quote:Original post by jwenting
Enterprise architect is excellent.

The UI has too many quirks for me to ever rate it as "excellent".

--AnkhSVN - A Visual Studio .NET Addin for the Subversion version control system.[Project site] [IRC channel] [Blog]
After using several competing products you may change your opinion.
It's a breath of fresh air after those ;)

Tried Objecteering, tried VP, tried Together, tried ArgoUML, tried several others.
Despite the quirks EA is the best of the bunch.
StarUML is good, and best of all, free! (and open-source)
Quote:Original post by Arild Fines
Quote:Original post by jwenting
Enterprise architect is excellent.

The UI has too many quirks for me to ever rate it as "excellent".

EA is just about adequate - unfortunately that still puts it above all of the other UM tools available. The best tool for UML is still a pen and paper (or a whiteboard).
I also use pen&paper for use cases and state charts. I used to use PoseidonUML(Java based) but the screen was too small and program was slow. With poseidon though, I made a nice class hiearchy chart for FoxToolkit while ago. So that would be one example where UML tool is handy.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement