Sign in to follow this  

GameTutorials Question

This topic is 4307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi Guys, I am new to the whole scene of game development (yes I do have prior programming experience) I was looking around the net for some good tutorials. I found this site: http://www.gametutorials.com Sadly the tutorials are suited for a Windows environment (I use a Mac :)). Does anyone have experience with this site's products, or does anyone know of a similar site that is good for the Mac environment. The video tutorials offered by GameTutorials are enticing, and I would prefer to have a CD that I can pop into my iBook instead of slithering my way around webpages. Thanks in advance for any useful posts.

I've been around there, I actually posted a similar thread there as well.
I'm just trying to get a bigger scope of people who will hopefully answer
my question.

I would actually recommend staying away from the GameTutorials "tutorials" in general. They end up actually being massively commented source code files that end up teaching you that massively commented source code files don't teach you anything. Although this might help some people, it is most definatley not the best way to learn. You'll end up just copying and pasting and not learning anything.

The best way to learn is to read directly from a book. Buy yourself a good programming book, sit down away from a computer and read it. When you come to a book exercise, or a code snippet, play with it. Change some values and experiment. Writing the code yourself will actually make you learn as opposed to just some poorly commently code samples.

Personally, I find that most NeHe tutorials are also highly commented source code. Pop open any NeHe tutorial and skim it. Most of the written stuff is just a verbal version of the code. It doesn't go in nearly as much depth as most good books do. If you're looking for OpenGL graphics programming, Beginning OpenGL Game Programming is an excellent read.

There aren't many tutorials out there that tell you how to 'make a game' and tell you the structure of a game. Instead, you're going to have to figure it out or learn it from tutorials that give you a step-by-step through how they made a Tetris clone.

Good luck!

This topic is 4307 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.