Sign in to follow this  
JoaquinUK

MDX VB.NET or C#?

Hi, I am moving from VB6 to VB.NET (using VS 2005). I love the new VB 2005 it is much more powerful and flexible than VB6. Now that MDX is available I am thinking about doing some DirectX programming in VB 2005, but I have heard some really good things about doing this in C#, although I haven't used it yet. I was wondering, since .NET languages are based on common components/architecture what is the difference between a DirectX app in VB 2005 vs. C#. Is the difference mostly in the development of the app or in the final product when it is running?

This is mostly a preference choice and I am personally more comfortable with a c-style language than with a basic style language. It is true that both languages are managed languages and they do share some common features but the 2 languages are also very different.

You will find sites all over the net comparing the 2 languages but I wouldn't want this thread to turn into a language debate thread. Which ever language you feel comfortable with is the best one for you.

I hope this helps.
Take care.

Both C# and VB.NET compile to MSIL, the same language. So they are essentially identical in .exe form.

If your moving up from VB6, I would recommend VB.NET 2005.

No I agree, I am not really interested in a language comparison debate. I was just curious to know simply the runtime speed difference between a MDX C# and a VB 2005 application. If the final speed difference is negligible then indeed, it is just a preference matter of your chosen development language.

I have done a fair amount of C++ a few years ago (at University) but have done mostly VB since then. I think I may stick with VB 2005 for now, but will be definately taking a look at C# in the future.

I would just add to that, by saying that my reason for posting this thread was that there seems to be so much more resources/sites dedicated to the development of MDX in C# than VB 2005. Hence my curiosity if there was a difference in performance in the final exe.

Yeah, the lack of tutorials for VB is a it of a problem. However, much of the code shouldn't be too hard to port over if you can read C#.

Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Didn't MS stop including VB samples in the SDK because there was little demand for it?

Not really...up until recently, only one guy at Microsoft (Tom Miller) was even WORKING on MDX.

I use VB.NET with MDX. The samples are written in C#, but most of what I see is essentially "VB with curly braces and semicolons," so conversion is relatively simple.

As for performance between VB.NET and C#, each has their little performance sinks, but they even out in the end. VB.NET does some things for you automatically that you have to do explicitly in C# (like checking whether or not a string is null prior to a comparison, etc.), but the performance differences between the two (especially with .NET 2.0) are so miniscule as to not even matter.

Thanks for all your comments. I think I am going to stick with VB and MDX, but am curious to try C# and MDX in the future. I wonder if there will be ANY lag between managed and unmanaged code when everyone starts using DX10 as that is supposed to be a complete overhaul of DX from the ground up.

RomSteady have you any samples etc. that I could take a look at to help me get off the ground using VB and MDX, or know anyone else using it. If there are a few people around who are interested in VB and MDX as I am then I may think about setting up a small portal site for exchange of information, tutorials, code, forum etc.

Best wishes,

David

Quote:
Original post by RomSteady
Quote:
Original post by Arild Fines
Didn't MS stop including VB samples in the SDK because there was little demand for it?

Not really...up until recently, only one guy at Microsoft (Tom Miller) was even WORKING on MDX.

I use VB.NET with MDX. The samples are written in C#, but most of what I see is essentially "VB with curly braces and semicolons," so conversion is relatively simple.

As for performance between VB.NET and C#, each has their little performance sinks, but they even out in the end. VB.NET does some things for you automatically that you have to do explicitly in C# (like checking whether or not a string is null prior to a comparison, etc.), but the performance differences between the two (especially with .NET 2.0) are so miniscule as to not even matter.

Yup supposedly lack of time or vb programmers being ignored:
"Tom Miller [MS] (Expert):
Q: I have seen a lot of c# samples in the SDK, and one mixed project with VBNet, are there or will there be in future as well VBNet samples
A: As i discussed on my blog recently, the major reason for a 'lack' of VB samples is time and resources. Anytime we have any free time and resources, we look into adding more VB samples. I also know of a company that has ported all of the existing C# samples to VB.NET, and they will be 'releasing' them in the not too distant future."

Latest DX SDK still doesn't include any dx10 vb samples as far as I can tell?