money, created by the players, like in life

Started by
25 comments, last by TheOddMan 18 years, 1 month ago
If you had a unified pvp world with towns run by the players with political systems, with no inflation, where all items have to be made by players and stuff: people would mine resources, gold, copper etc. They would use these to trade. The government would be given the ability to turn these resources into coins made from the materials. Gold coins, copper coins etc. They would then give them a value. They can make the value whatever they want. If they choose a stupid value like 1 copper coin = 1,000,000 then all the items are going to be quite expensive. Just like irl. When an outsider comes to town they will have to convert their currency to the local currency. (In my mind there would be banks, banks run by players, currency conversion adds another feature to banks.) I like this system because it takes the responsibility of the developer to set prices for stuff. In my opinion the developer should have no input into the economy (apart from designing base weapons and spells), the correct system should sort itself out. This adds to immersion. What do you think? do you think it is worth while?
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Advertisement
No. And that's assuming that arbitrarily assigning value to something (a copper coin) with an inherant value (the cost of the copper used to make it) actually was feasible.
You can't just say "no inflation" and then it magically doesn't happen. Your example is exactly what leads to inflation; within a month, you'll be paying sixty billion dollars for a rusty dagger.
to the most part wouldnt inflation be fairly low if you simply had a finite amount of any resource and made the resources to active players ratio constant
(as for the original post im not sure what your saying or asking)
your not looking at the bigger picture

The government is run by the players
the government makes the money
if the government makes to much money thats there own damn fault.
The the town will fall or
a different government can be voted in
They will not be so stupid as to create to much money
Money can be melted down into its raw materials.
Raw materials exist in a cycle, if somebody drops a dagger on the floor, after sometime it disapears and the resources used to make the dagger respawn in the correct areas. This will happen because storage space will be limited enough that you cant keep everything.

There is not an infinite supply of gold to be mined. Gold is needed for other things. If it all gets turned into money then people are going to have to melt it to use it.

This idea cannot be thrown into WOW. This idea is part of a bigger picture.

Inflation in other games exists because money spawns on enemies and such.
Inflation in my game exists in a realistic way.

In fact the government will be very conservative when creating money because gold is a resource and making a tone of it is a bad idea, the towns gold will very quickly end up in another town.

I dont see how this system wouldnt work. We have this system in real life and it seams to be working.

Kaze; i have thought of your way, it isn't immersive.

makeshiftwings; yes, that would happen if i threw this system into the current line of mmorpg's.

Telastyn; im not sure what your mean, but nothing in life has value, we just assign value to it which depends on factors such as : build time, material cost (thats recursive until you reach a base item like gold or something). I would like the players to consider such things and assign values themselves.
--------------------------------Dr Cox: "People are ***tard coated ***tards with ***tard filling."
Well that seems like a very interesting idea.

As for being part of a swords and sorcery setting, that may reduce immersion. People in RPGs want to hack and slash and use magic, not worry about the economy. But as you have said, it's not to be thrown into an existing game. If you developed a new type of game, perhaps some kind of wild west sim, where the players are part of a new land, searching/digging for resources and setting up villages which then become towns and could grow into cities.

Would it be worthwile? Not sure, it may take a lot more effort than anticipated. But it's definately an interesting idea.
No, I don't think this would work. As Telastyn pointed out, it wouldn't even be possible. You say that the player would assign a number to the coins, and that would be how much its worth. However, this means that in reality, you are just using the economy that is already in place; the economy that measures values based on that pre-defined value that you are assigning stuff.

For example, if we have a copper piece worth 5, and a gold piece worth 10, and a Bronze Sword is worth 4 copper pieces. This is, obviously, the same thing as 2 gold pieces. The problem is that you're not really paying in gold or copper pieces, you're actually paying in that pre-defined currency, which in this case means that the Bronze Sword is worth 20.

You have just taken away the name for value. It was exceedingly difficult for me to write this simply becuase I had no units to work with.

A better approach would be to remove this arbitrary value from currency and let it evolve naturually. This is more how real life money works. A US Dollar isn't worth anything, except what we decide its worth, and there is no real way of measuring its worth, except against other, equally abstrat, currencies. And this probably wouldn't work either.
ok, i see what you mean.

don't assign a value, just say - this is a gold coin, this is a copper coin.
If gold is 3 times a better material than copper then a gold coin would be roughly 3 times the value of copper. This also depends on the amount of the material there is available.

Add silver into the mix aswell.

are we on the same page now?
Quote:
Telastyn; im not sure what your mean, but nothing in life has value, we just assign value to it which depends on factors such as : build time, material cost (thats recursive until you reach a base item like gold or something). I would like the players to consider such things and assign values themselves.

Great. So why (as a player) not just trade the base resource if coins are freely convertable to the resource?

Having a gold coin from JoeLand is pointless if it has the same value as x gold resource. Having the gold coin be worth more is then terrible because JoeLand can then make wealth (since coins are worth more than their resource value, they can buy items containing gold and then some; melt the items to get the gold to make another coin plus extra. Net Profit).
yes i understand now, see my previous post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement