[SD] Will you all be doing 2D?

Started by
6 comments, last by remigius 18 years, 1 month ago
A couple of weeks seems ambitious to get anything 3D going, are you all planning on something in 2D?
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by d000hg
A couple of weeks seems ambitious to get anything 3D going

Not if you use middleware effectively. Granted, content may still be a problem, but that's why "programmer art" is acceptable for this contest.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Unless you've used a 3rd party 3D engine before, a couple of weeks is still quite short to get anything but a bare-bones framework running. And even programmer art would take me days to make if it were 3D models. Granted, I AM spectacularly bad at artistic stuff!
Quote:Original post by d000hg
Unless you've used a 3rd party 3D engine before, a couple of weeks is still quite short to get anything but a bare-bones framework running.

*Shrug*. Took me about two hours to go from downloading Irrlicht to getting a third-person walk-arounder working, using the models that came with it.

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

Quote:Original post by superpig
*Shrug*. Took me about two hours to go from downloading Irrlicht to getting a third-person walk-arounder working, using the models that came with it.

Well, we ain't all quite as super :).

Anywho, I'm working on a very basic 3D entry, in MDX2.0. I don't think it's a huge problem to get a 3D entry in, even if you're not using managed code or any 3rd party tools. It's just a matter of how much free time you have :).

I think you're going to be surprised at the number of 3D entries, d000hg, which will hopefully include mine :).
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Hmm, I'm working on a MDX 3D thingy too and I thought I'd add some fancy visuals by using shaders, until I saw this in the Windows PC specs:

Quote:
Graphics: Intel i915 chipset (pixel shader 2.0, no vertex shader support)

No vertex shader support? How does that work? Isn't there any chance this spec could be raised to at least a Radeon 9500 or other full SM2 card? I've already implemented fix function paths to make the visuals suffer, but I'm also using some much needed basic shader instancing to speed things along. I doubt that would work on this card...

Ah well, you got ShipHo to run, so I'll put my trust in your creativity to get the entries to work [smile]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Quote:Original post by remigius
Hmm, I'm working on a MDX 3D thingy too and I thought I'd add some fancy visuals by using shaders, until I saw this in the Windows PC specs:

Quote:
Graphics: Intel i915 chipset (pixel shader 2.0, no vertex shader support)

No vertex shader support? How does that work? Isn't there any chance this spec could be raised to at least a Radeon 9500 or other full SM2 card? I've already implemented fix function paths to make the visuals suffer, but I'm also using some much needed basic shader instancing to speed things along. I doubt that would work on this card...

Ah well, you got ShipHo to run, so I'll put my trust in your creativity to get the entries to work [smile]

No vertex shader support in hardware. You can still use a software processing device with shaders quite happily.

Kinda defeats the whole purpose to hardware shader instancing though :s

I guess I can find a way to code/model around this and achieve a not-too-shabby performance... Still 8 days to go, so why worry [wink]
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement