[web] Website Design Opinions

Started by
13 comments, last by Sander 18 years, 1 month ago
I guess I'll start by throwing out a warning that I am NOT a designer. I am much more comfortable working on the server side of things as far as web development goes, but I've had this domain for quite a while now and have only been using it as a test bed for scripts. I think it's time I got something up there with some information on it. Obviously I have no content currently so I'm just looking for opinions/suggestions on the actual design. Bonus points to the person who knows where I got the color scheme! [wink] The site in question.
Advertisement
Hey tstrimp,

Are you using a template for your web site ? In case you are not (and in case it is what you mean when you speak about 'design'), I recently installed a *cool* product called Mambo Forge, and I like it ! It is free and it uses PHP. JSP would have suited me better though.
If you only wanted aesthetical opinion/suggestions, sorry for disturbing :)
Cheers
StratBoy61
BTW, I liked your site's Lorem Ipsum :)
Nope, no template. Just cand coded xhtml/css. By design I mean the colors, look & feel and fonts mainly.
I really like it. As a desperate attempt to find something lacking, I noticed that you sorta reverse the Orange and Yellow orders. What I mean is that your sub-title is yellow while the part underneath it is orange. However, the Links/Resources headings are Orange and the part underneat them is yellow. Its a minor nit-pick that I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been searching for something!
Nice! I think it's mostly fine - very nice. On my monitor, the red seems to draw my eye more than the green area, though. You might try desaturating it a bit, or making it a bit lighter or darker.

Also, the in-site links don't go anywhere yet, do they?

The Gamasutra link is always shown in red, which is weird...

I realize those aren't a lot of comments, but the site seems very well-adjusted for its purpose...
gsgraham.comSo, no, zebras are not causing hurricanes.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
Nice! I think it's mostly fine - very nice. On my monitor, the red seems to draw my eye more than the green area, though. You might try desaturating it a bit, or making it a bit lighter or darker.

I'm not quite sure what you mean here. Are you talking about the body background?

Quote:
Also, the in-site links don't go anywhere yet, do they?

Nope, I have absolutely no content yet.

Quote:
The Gamasutra link is always shown in red, which is weird...

Thats the difference between the link and vlink. Regular links are red and visited ones are the yellow. As soon as I clicked on the link and refreshed it changed to match all the others.

Hm. The vlinks are acting differently than I expected. I've never been to Gamasutra, but it started out red, and the others didn't change after I clicked them. Anyways, it makes sense now! Just have to refresh.

OH. I think yellow should be your regular link color, and red the vlink. No wonder I was confused. Generally, vlink colors tend towards the red, and that's what most people expect. Besides, the yellow looks better [grin] (and most people will see all yellow when they come to your site).

The main background - the giant red blank space - is too distracting. It clashes a bit too much with the main body background and makes the site hard to read. I would suggest changing the red color some.
Quote:Original post by Avatar God
OH. I think yellow should be your regular link color, and red the vlink. No wonder I was confused. Generally, vlink colors tend towards the red, and that's what most people expect. Besides, the yellow looks better [grin] (and most people will see all yellow when they come to your site).

I've fixed this, there if you have clicked on the gamasutra link then they should all have vlink color since the navigation links all point to the index page. I did the yellow with the orange hover. dropped the vlink color and red altogether.

I'm still looking into background colors though.
Quote:Original post by Ezbez
I really like it. As a desperate attempt to find something lacking, I noticed that you sorta reverse the Orange and Yellow orders. What I mean is that your sub-title is yellow while the part underneath it is orange. However, the Links/Resources headings are Orange and the part underneat them is yellow. Its a minor nit-pick that I wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been searching for something!

I tried switching those around and the results looked... odd.

Ooh, I like the hover color. And it's fine that you did away with the vlink - with a limited number of links like that (and most of them linking within your page), that shouldn't be a problem at all.

I like it!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement