simple class and vector question.

Started by
17 comments, last by iMalc 18 years, 1 month ago
oh snap...this is starting to get crazy for me...

what do i do about the 95 warnings?

also since my map has integer and a vector of strings, i must also define an iterator for the vector of my strings in my map object?
Advertisement
Can you post your code so we have some hints to what may be the cause for the error ?
hello, basically now, i am experimenting with the map class. when i compile i get a bunch of warnings. maybe vc++ is not up to date? well at least i am not getting any error.

in the map class iterator, if my iterator is pointing to something, it seems that i have access to first and second fields? thats pretty cool. i am just wondering if/when i create my map<int, vector <string>>, how will i insert new items into my map, and new strings to the string vector?

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <string>
#include <algorithm>
#include <vector>
#include <map>
//#include "history.h"

using namespace std;

int main()
{
//typedef vector<string> history;
map<int,string> myHistory;
map<int,string>::iterator pos;

myHistory.insert(map<int, string>::value_type(5,"hello"));
myHistory.insert(map<int, string>::value_type(6,"77.33"));
myHistory.insert(map<int, string>::value_type(7,"hellothere"));

pos = myHistory.begin();
cout << " size = " << myHistory.size() << endl;

for (pos = myHistory.begin(); pos != myHistory.end(); ++pos)
{
if (pos->first == 6)
{
cout<< "found it" << endl;
}
}

pos = myHistory.find(5);
cout<< "pos = " << pos->first << endl;

return 0;
}
Quote:Original post by rip-off
C++ compilers will reject that.
C++ compilers parse >> as the right shift operator, even inside template declarations.
Whilst I would still suggest putting in the space (for portability), MS actually made VS2005 smart enough to work without the space, i.e. >> doesn't get parsed as right shift within template declarations.

(Yeah I was shocked too![smile])
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms
Quote:Original post by iMalc
Quote:Original post by rip-off
C++ compilers will reject that.
C++ compilers parse >> as the right shift operator, even inside template declarations.
Whilst I would still suggest putting in the space (for portability), MS actually made VS2005 smart enough to work without the space, i.e. >> doesn't get parsed as right shift within template declarations.

(Yeah I was shocked too![smile])

I wouldn't call it smart, because it fail to treat it as a shift operator when you want a shift operator.
#include <iostream>using namespace std;template<int T> struct foo{	int bar() const {return T;}};int main(){	foo< 4>>1 > baz;   // baz is of type foo<2>	cout << baz.bar() << endl;		return 0;}

Not a common situation maybe, but still, it fails while, as far as I know, it shouldn't. g++ 3.4 on FreeBSD compiles it just fine.

In other words, they fixed one thing and broke another.
Quote:Original post by baker
i am just wondering if/when i create my map<int, vector <string> >, how will i insert new items into my map, and new strings to the string vector?

Some examples how to use are given in the manual i posted before:
http://www.sgi.com/tech/stl/Map.html

int main(){  map<const char*, int, ltstr> months;    months["january"] = 31;  months["february"] = 28;  months["march"] = 31;...  cout << "june -> " << months["june"] << endl;}

Also using typedefs would make things easier to read.

Next thing is your declare:
map<int,string> myHistory;

This means that map<int,string>::key_type is int and map<int,string>::value_type is string.

Then you call
myHistory.insert(map<int, string>::value_type(5,"hello"));

You should better use:
myHistory[5] = "hello";

hi, thanks again for the reply. i took a look at the example and they show something very similiar to the C++ book i am looking at.

i see how the map is int and string, but is it possible to have an array of strings or a vector of strings? if its a vector of strings, how can i access the vector or strings through the map and add and delete?

not just strings but maybe objects?

map<int, myownObj> test1;
Quote:Original post by Brother Bob
I wouldn't call it smart, because it fail to treat it as a shift operator when you want a shift operator.
*** Source Snippet Removed ***
Not a common situation maybe, but still, it fails while, as far as I know, it shouldn't. g++ 3.4 on FreeBSD compiles it just fine.

In other words, they fixed one thing and broke another.
Oh so they did![rolleyes]
I wasn't convinced that it was a good move on their part anyway. But breaking code that should be valid is teh suxors.
"In order to understand recursion, you must first understand recursion."
My website dedicated to sorting algorithms

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement