32x32 tiles vs 16x16 tiles

Started by
3 comments, last by Iftah 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello everyone, I'm creating a 2D game engine and I was wondering which I should use. I was going to use 32x32 tiles, but I'm not sure. Can someone tell me the actual difference (performance, quality, details, etc) between 16x16 and 32x32 tiles? Thanks
Advertisement
well what are the sizes of the characters in the game? the bigger the size the more detail you can put into them. It also will depend on what resolution you will run your game in.
Making a 2D game engine doesn't mean a tile system is necessary. Tiles are primarily used to conserve video memory and reduce resource size. The SNES and Genesis were built around hardware tiling systems. So it was almost always more efficent to use tiles.

The smaller the tile-size the more unique your tile-patterns can be(less repetitive look). Of course if you get to 1x1 then it's back at square one:). The down side it you have to produce and place more tiles on the screen.

The bigger the tile-size means less tiles you need to fill the screen and the faster you can create huge maps. Of course if you get to screen-resolution size, then it's back to square one:) The downside is that you get large areas that look repetitive.

On top of this is sceen resolution. Higher resolutions make tiles look smaller and versa vi.

Performance shouldn't be a big issue on modern computers. Smaller tiles equal more calls to the blit routine. Bigger tiles equal more pixels to blit per call. Other performance issue are dependent on the API you use(DX,OpenGL) and how the tiles are managed.

One solution is to use both sizes. You would get the benefits of bother sizes. The downside is that it could greatly raise the complexity of both the rendering logic and the art pipeline.

Try doing a forum search using the keyword '32x32'.
0xa0000000
Quote:Original post by Jack Sotac
Making a 2D game engine doesn't mean a tile system is necessary. Tiles are primarily used to conserve video memory and reduce resource size. The SNES and Genesis were built around hardware tiling systems. So it was almost always more efficent to use tiles.

The smaller the tile-size the more unique your tile-patterns can be(less repetitive look). Of course if you get to 1x1 then it's back at square one:). The down side it you have to produce and place more tiles on the screen.

The bigger the tile-size means less tiles you need to fill the screen and the faster you can create huge maps. Of course if you get to screen-resolution size, then it's back to square one:) The downside is that you get large areas that look repetitive.

On top of this is sceen resolution. Higher resolutions make tiles look smaller and versa vi.

Performance shouldn't be a big issue on modern computers. Smaller tiles equal more calls to the blit routine. Bigger tiles equal more pixels to blit per call. Other performance issue are dependent on the API you use(DX,OpenGL) and how the tiles are managed.

One solution is to use both sizes. You would get the benefits of bother sizes. The downside is that it could greatly raise the complexity of both the rendering logic and the art pipeline.

Try doing a forum search using the keyword '32x32'.

Thanks. Right now I'm in the planning process of the actual engine. It's going to end up being a open source MMORPG creation tool... just everyone likes to tell me "32x32 is better then 16x16!"

I think I will stick with 16x16.

Thanks guys.

Well, that should be the decision of the artists, or the project manager of a certain game, not the decision of the engine design!!!

You can (and should) design an engine that will support any tile size.
Even each layer can have its own tileWidth and tileHeight.

On the subject, dont ask "should my engine support 1 layer or 3 layers?", the engine should support any number of layers. Well, your making an MMORPG and not arcade so maybe multi layers arent neccessary.

Iftah.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement