Sign in to follow this  

MSVC .net IDE formatting question

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I've created my own scripting language which uses a syntax extremely close to C/C++. I would like to use the same text formatting that the IDE uses for C or C++ source files (highlighting of keywords and comments, etc). I could achieve this by using the .c extension on my script files, but would there be a better way? I assume this is possible, considering the HLSL .fx format has it's own format. Can I add my own formatting extensions to the IDE? Any help is appreciated.

If you want to use the C++ formatting/highlighting, try the following:

Tools/Options.../Text Editor/File Extension

Type in your extension, select the C++ editor, and click Add. Now, when you open a file with your extension, it will syntax-highlight and format anything that looks like C++.

Thanks for the help.

I'm using Visual Studio C++ .net version 7.1. There doesn't seem to be a "File Extension" option in the "Text Editor" settings. Here's what I have:

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I apologize for not including the version number. Is this still possible? Perhaps the information is stored in a data file somewhere that I can edit?

Thanks again

Sorry, I assumed VS2005. That's what happens when we ass-u-me.

I don't know of any way to do that in VS7.1. I had thought that changing the file type property in the solution explorer would do the trick, but it doesn't appear to work.

It is possible that some configuration file holds the key, but I have no idea which one it might be.

Sorry I couldn't be of assistance.

Guest Anonymous Poster
https://udn.epicgames.com/Two/UnrealScriptHighlighting explains how to do it for the Unreal Engine's scripting language, I assume you can do the same.

This topic is 4303 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.