camera movement and visual effect in 3D game

Started by
2 comments, last by Jack Bartlett 18 years, 1 month ago
Hello. I'm trying to create a visual effect caused by the camera shaken by some impact, for example, that of a rocket hit the nearby ground of the player. I have tried this using PD-control and tested different parameters for mass, spring, damper and force, but have been unable to create a convincing effect yet. It only feels like a spring, and looks really bogus. If anyone knows any advice for this, I'd appreciate it. The test program and some of the source code I wrote. One problem might be that I'm currently only changing the position of the camera. I think the orientation must also be affected to achieve convincing effect, but I'm not sure how to do it in a stable way. Although it is not exactly the camera movement caused by the ground impact, I think the trailers of the Ace Combat Zero on the following website include some natural movement of the camera and I wonder how to achieve that type of movement. Ace Combat Zero - ACES WEB
Advertisement
Try using a simple Noise control.
I did it by using a spring only in the return direction. I kept information about the "real" camera position. Then, about 5-10 times per second, I offset the eye and target position by a small random amount. In between these shakes, I smoothly interpolated back to the original position. You can try different speeds of return and offset amounts to get different effects.
Thanks for the advice.

Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Try using a simple Noise control.

Yes, sir. I haven't checked it out yet but I'll definitely try, so let me give some time to figure it out.
I'd appreciate it if you told me any helpful resources, tutorials or anything about the noise control.

Quote:Original post by BeanDog
I did it by using a spring only in the return direction. I kept information about the "real" camera position. Then, about 5-10 times per second, I offset the eye and target position by a small random amount. In between these shakes, I smoothly interpolated back to the original position. You can try different speeds of return and offset amounts to get different effects.

Sorry, I'm not quite sure what you mean, so correct me if I'm wrong.
Am I right in thinking that you meant,

1) The camera position, or the original position, is always constant.
2) The target position is slightly changed 5-10 times per second.
3) A temporary eye position is controlled by spring to move toward the target position.
4) The original position and the temporary position are blended to create the final position.
5) The weight of the temporary position decreases so that the final position gradually come back to its original position.

I actually modified my program based on your idea of offsetting the target position at certain intervals, but I probably didn't implement exactly what you meant because it didn't improve it much...

a shaky camera effect - an updated test program and some of its source code

[Edited by - Jack Bartlett on March 6, 2006 4:37:07 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement