Content Generation

Started by
4 comments, last by syph 18 years, 1 month ago
Well after about 3/4 of a school year I have finally finished (or for the most part finished) my RPG engine. Unfortunatly I have next to nothing to show for it except for many C++ and Header files (no content). Programming is fun because I am learning things but content generation just seems muntonus plus im not really the artistic type anyway. It kind of makes me mad because the learning stops at the end of the engine but in relity the actual game hasn't even begun yet. So should I just leave my engine the way it is and move on, I don't have the time to generate content for an RPG but I still want to show what I've been working on for a long time.... any thoughts.
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Advertisement
I didnt know it was ever really possible to finish a game engine :) Iv been working on one (just a learning process really) and i think i could go on adding features forever without ever declaring it finished :)

If its just a case of looking for artists, then you could always register a project on Sourceforge and look for people to help build a small RPG using your engine. Posting in the Help Wanted section of gamedev might find you someone too :)

If its just a case of making a few small demo's, then you might be able to find artwork/sound files etc online that you can use...
"Leave it to the computer programmers to shorten the "Year 2000 Millennium Bug" to "Y2K." Isn't that what caused this problem in the first place?"
Yeah techincally its not finished, once I get familiar with loading 3d modles and doing 3d collision I'm going to expand the engine to 3d. Yeah a demo is not a bad idea, that way I could still show my work. As for getting an artist, I'm not exactly in the possision to pay anyone for work as an artist and the actual process of adding stuff to the game isn't fool proof and could use some work if I decide to go the route of actually finishing this sucker.
____________________________"This just in, 9 out of 10 americans agree that 1 out of 10 americans will disagree with the other 9"- Colin Mochrie
Yes, that's a real problem. If you're not a good artist, and/or not a good game designing, producing a game to match the code you've created is frustrating.

The best thing you can do is find someone (or -ones) who's good at art and/or design (or both) and partner with him/her/them. First, lay out constraints for the game design/world (size, resolution, tools, etc). Show a sample level with blocky, ugly graphics. Have a web board or mailing alias where you discuss the actual game. Hopefully, you'll get a level or two out of your collaboration partner, and can start putting that into a real game.

Once you have a level or two, it'll be easier to put that up as a demo, and recruit more people as necessary for the game. This requires that you have the actual dedication to help them along, though. I also recommend against being more than 5 people in an online indie team -- two or three would be closer to ideal.

Note that, for some reason, it's much harder to find artists willing to work for free, than it is to find programmers. Thus, you may wish to figure out a business model and revenue sharing model, and formalize the collaboration as some kind of business/partnership.
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Well that kind of leaves me with the question. Would it benifit me more to continue on with this one project and finish it to the end or to continue on with new concepts. I could see beinificial points to both of these, I don't think I could move on with other programming and continue to extend this game at the same time, I still have so much to learn, want to know, things outside the realm of a 2D RPG. There is knowlage to be gained from the former situation if I ever decided to head up a team, plus a few features that need improvment in the engine AI being number 1 easier content generation being number 2.

EDIT: working on a game portfolio isnt really that high on my todo list because its a while off before I really have to worry about starting my career.
I started up a game back in Nov and a couple friends said they'd help with the art/content. I'm just finishing up my level editor now and, lo and behold, everyone's really busy all of a sudden! ;)

Honestly, it sounds like you're doing this for fun, so you might as well just do whatever you're most interested in. If you keep cranking out game engines you're going to get pretty good at it, and when the time finally comes for you to team up with a group you'll be able to hammer out something very good quickly (or even just tweak something you've already made).

Another idea, btw, is to spend a year developing your artistic skills. While having natural talent is certainly helpful, art is like programming - a skill that can be learned with practice.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement