Setting up HLSL Workshop?

Started by
5 comments, last by DrGUI 18 years, 1 month ago
So I've been trying to dabble in this High Level Shader Language thing, and the stuff in the HLSL Workshop "tutorial" seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. The problem is... they're just the .fx files. There's no .cpp implementation. I've tried to ad hoc my own to limited success (I used the Basic HLSL template and managed to connect the world view and viewport transform... which amounts to pretty much nothing -- a very broken rendering and camera controls). I would only assume that SOMEBODY managed to get a project going and working with this. Does anybody know where I could find one? Or maybe how to correctly set everything up to connect with the fx file?
Advertisement
From the DX SDK Sample Browser:
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
Am I missing something?
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
Are you implying that writing the source file is part of the tutorial? Because...It's not exactly common knowledge.

As far as I read it, it's for learning the .fx format and techniques... After going through it several times, I figured most of the things out, but I still don't have any way to test out any changes.
The DX sample include the full source code. If you go to the sample browser, and install the HLSL Workshop sample, it will install the HLSL files as well as a full c++ source for testing them.
It's in the Common subdirectory in the directory you choose to install to.

Hope this helps.
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.
The common folder seems to only include DXUT. There is no actual implementation / support file for HLSL Workshop.
Look at "(SDK root)\Samples\C++\Direct3D\BasicHLSL". This will show you how to set up an effect.
Sean Henley [C++ Tutor]Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute
I believe those are meant to be used in the SDK tool 'EffectEdit'. Which I think has been conveniently cut from the SDK.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement