Definition of a MUD

Started by
2 comments, last by dmreichard 18 years, 1 month ago
I know MUD stands for Multi-User Dungeon, but what exactly does that mean? I've also heard that all MUD's are text-based; is this true?
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Advertisement
MUD's are (as far as I know) all text based. A mud is basically a text based rpg - commonly online. The user creates an account and then moves around a text based world. The most common solution for this is to have rooms with exits that join to other rooms. Other solutions exist however, where a small ASCII map is displayed, and users move around this way.

MUDs also have the advantage of having less limits. Because it is all text, the features can go on a lot (I suggest taking a look at www.achaea.com - there is an insane amount of role playing in that, more than a graphical game could ever hope to achieve - at this time of writing).

I hope this clears things up. I believe wikipedia will have some info on this topic too.
Ollie"It is better to ask some of the questions than to know all the answers." ~ James Thurber[ mdxinfo | An iridescent tentacle | Game design patterns ]
Thanks for clearing that up for me, I may try my hand at writing one ;)
------------------------------Support the Blue Skies in Games Campaign!A blog... of sorts.As a general rule, if you don't have a general rule in your signature, you aren't as awesome as someone who does. General rules roxor teh big one one ones.
Here are some MUD communities for you to look at:

Mud Magic
The MUD Connector
Top MUD Sites

Thought I would edit this and also include my favorite hosting company, if your interested. InfoLaunch

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement